Prologo

The rules were simple

The rules were simple. They were clear - concise. Sure, the consequence of the terms was unknown to me, but I was more than willing to accept anything thrown my way. My insouciant regard for the aftermath of accepting the deal was simply because anything he could do to me was far less detrimental than what I had been going through at the time.

Or so I thought.

At the time, the worst thing he could have done to me was kill me, perhaps torture me. But again, even physical torture was more favorable than the life I was living. Part of me had hoped he would kill me and end my suffering. The other part of me never dreamed I'd be where I am today. I never thought the consequence of the deal would be this.

I never imagined I'd be standing at the barrel of a gun, watching the love of my life scream for me. I never imagined I'd be scared of death. 

There's a difference - you know - between death and destruction. To some people, death was both an end and a beginning. Death was sometimes at the forefront of people's wishes. Death was inevitable.

Destruction, however, was far more painful. The massacre of your organization, yourself, your individuality, the ultimate demise of what you held dearest to your heart...is unthinkable. No one hopes for destruction.

Destruction is always the result of our actions.

Perhaps if I had known my actions would cause so much heartache, not only for me, but the people I love, I would have never cashed that check.

But looking at him now, as his dangerously dark eyes locked onto mine, I knew the answer. I wouldn't have changed meeting him.

Because the consequence of my actions led to him. It led to me falling in love.

But in the midst of falling, disastrously and unforgivingly, head-first and enthusiastically, I never realized that the love we shared would ultimately lead to our destruction.

Or...would it?

would it?