Part 1

The rush slowed to a crawl as the closing hour loomed by. By this time, my body was wearing down. I dragged the damp rag across the table, flexing my rist as I finished. I looked around the small pub, all that remained was a single drunkard hoping for that one last beer.

"Come on Hun," the girl standing at the bar said loudly, smacking her hand against the top. She was tall and slender with crimson red hair and bright green eyes. She was boisterous, high-strung and rowdy. It seemed like she was always talking.

I thought back to when I first started working here. Jezebel. That's her name, but I've heard others call her Jessa.

The man jerked his head up, grabbing for his bottle.

"I don't think so," Jessa said, tossing the bottle into the garbage.

"Thur was 'til some in ter," he slurred. I could only imagine how much alcohol he drank for his words to be so messed up.

She shook her head, "I'm sorry. Do you want me to call a cab?"

"Yeth," he said, shaking his head.

"Alright," she said with a laugh, walking around. She slung his arm over her shoulder. "Hey, Kat, come help me."

"You got it," the only other waitress in the pub said, dropping her towel onto the bar. She took his other arm and they lead the man outside.

It was a few minutes later that the two returned. "Alright guys," Jessa declared, "I am flpping the sign. We are officially closed."

Thank goodness, I thought, walking to the back to dispose of the rag and gather my things.

As I was heading to the door, Jessa called out, "Hey! Don't go yet."

I stopped, half-turning, expecting her to be talking to the other girl.

Jessa ran up to me, "Yeah, you. Stay for a little while."

"Why?" I asked, my voice small.

"Because you've worked here for almost a month, and we still don't know your name," she defended.

"You don't?" I looked towards the back of the room, "But my name is on the board."

She sighed, "You don't like to talk much, do you?"

I shook my head.

"Don't you think it'll be good for us to get to know each other?" she asked, looking over me.

I shrugged, looking at the floor, "Not really."

"What?" she asked, incredulous, "But--"

"Jes," Kat called. Her voice gentle, but firm. She was thinner in frame with night black hair and soft pale blue eyes. "Stop."

"Kat," she said, exasperated.

Kat shook her head, "No. If she doesn't like to talk and share information, then you can't force her."

Jessa turned back to me, "Can I ask you one question?"

I hesitated before nodding.

"What are you?"

Normally, this question would cause one to be offended. That was until the symbols appeared and other species (besides humans, I mean) filled the population. Now, you have to be careful who you talk to, not all species can be trusted.

"I'm human."

The tension left her body, "Cool. Same here." She flipped over her arm, exposing her forearm. Underneath her wrist was a shimmering, red tattoo, shining brightly like the sun.