Chapter One Rain

Lou checked her phone again and sighed. She should've known that wearing a cute sweater and curling the ends of her hair were wasted on her no-good boyfriend. She grabbed another heart-shaped homemade cookie from the Tupperware container on the picnic blanket. It was Saturday, officially one week away from Valentine's Day. She had hoped to start off the week with a romantic picnic in the park, but Eric was a no-show. Again.

"Looks like rain," she mumbled to herself between munches of chocolate chips.

Her eyes drifted back down from the grey clouds to the park around her. Earlier, there had been a few people flying kites and a little girl holding tight to a leash as her dog chased the wind. Now there was barely anyone at the park. Lou glanced over her shoulder and spotted another picnic blanket in the distance. She tilted her head to the side as she tried to think of the guy's name.

"I know him...He goes to my school... What is it," she said to herself as she turned away. She glanced up at the sky again. It was heavier with clouds. She packed away her cookies and rolled up her blanket.

In the distance, Ravi frowned down at his phone. Not a single reply had been sent to his many messages. He rolled his eyes as he tossed his phone into the open picnic basket. He hadn't bothered taking out any of the food he had packed because he knew his date would be late. But he hadn't anticipated her not showing up at all. He had been planning on asking her something important. Well, important to him. He had a feeling she was mostly dating him out of boredom, but having a girlfriend for Valentine's Day seemed so romantic and now that he had a chance to ask someone, he didn't want to waste it.

Thunder rumbled above him. His eyes widened as he stared up at the dark sky. He grabbed his phone out of the basket and called his date. It rang and rang. No answer. He blew a frustrated breath out his nose and then called his brother, Luke. Also, no answer. He sent a quick text message to Luke:

Bad weather and she didn't show up. Can you pick me up?

As he looked up from his phone, he saw someone familiar hurry by. It was Lou Hockhauser, a senior and one of the nicest people at his high school. She gave him a quick smile as she continued up the grassy slope. He couldn't help but smile back at her even though he was annoyed with his current situation. If it started raining, he would be stuck until someone decided to respond to his calls.

The sky immediately poured buckets of rain down onto the park.

Lou made it back to her truck without getting completely soaked. She tossed her bag with the food and blanket behind her and let out a breath. Her hair was slightly damp from the rain.

"So much for curls," she said to herself as she checked her reflection in the rear-view mirror. She grabbed a hair tie from the cupholder beneath her radio and wrangled her hair into the band.

"And so much for my picnic," she said as she watched the rain fall heavy outside her window. She could barely make out the image of someone running toward the tree beside the parking lot. The person stopped beneath the barren tree and huddled their picnic basket close to their chest. Lou squinted as she leaned closer to the driver's side window. Suddenly, she remembered his name.

She partially rolled down her window and shouted, "Hey!"

He looked around like he wasn't sure that she was talking to him as the rain continued to fall. The parking lot and park was empty except for him and an abandoned soccer ball.

Lou continued to shout, "Ravi, right? Do you want to sit in my car?"

Ravi didn't need to be told twice. The tree he had been huddled beneath offered no coverage due to its leaves being shed in the winter and he had no idea when his brother or date would arrive. He sprinted over to the truck and got in on the passenger's side.