The Flight to Redemption

Steve's POV (Hydra Base)

"Spit it out, Clint! What's happening?" I said, growing impatient. Time wasn't on our side. We had a maximum of 30 minutes to get out of here with the files, and we hadn't even located them yet.

"Steve... I think there are kids here. Or, at least one."

"What?! God, Hydra is really fucking evil." I paused, dreading the answer. "And Steve... they're—well, she's—being experimented on."

"Kids? Seriously? Get her out."

"I think I'll need some backup. Has anyone found the files yet?" Clint asked, desperation creeping into his voice.

"Screw the files. Get the kid out first. I'm coming to you right now," I said, already sprinting toward Clint's location.

But of course, I ran into a few Hydra agents on the way. They were no match for me, but it still slowed me down more than I would've liked. I finally reached the end of a hallway—only to find a dead end. A thick, glass door separated me from Clint and Natasha, who were struggling against a group of at least 20 Hydra agents on the other side. I slammed my shield against the glass, but nothing happened. I kept hitting it, harder and faster, but it didn't even scratch.

"Somebody better get here! Clint and Natasha are on the other side. I can't get to them!" I shouted into my comm.

"Bucky and I are kind of busy trying to keep these bastards away from the jet," Sam responded, clearly under pressure. I was glad to have Bucky back, despite everything he'd done. The government gave him a second chance, and I planned on helping him as much as I could.

"Stark? You there?"

"Yeah... Cap, I'm a little busy. I've almost got the files." His tone was frustratingly casual.

We're talking about a life here, a child's life. And Natasha and Clint are in danger! As much as I've gotten closer to this group, Stark, in particular, always seems to do the bare minimum—complete the job and disregard everything else. It's his one flaw as a teammate, something even Pepper pointed out: "He doesn't work well with others."

"Stark! You gotta help your teammates! Friends come first! And not to mention, we're talking about a child who's being tortured right now! Get your butt here, now!"

"Okay, okay. Also, grow some balls, America. You can say ass!" Stark quipped, always with the jokes.

King of assery. Nevertheless, he was there within seconds, blasting the door open. Then he took down a bunch of agents, knocking them to the floor. I stormed into the hallway past Clint, Nat, and Tony, searching for the girl. I ran past several rooms—all white, all empty—until I started hearing high-pitched screams. A young girl's screams. I finally reached the room where the screams were coming from and broke in with my shield.

The room was split into two parts. The first, directly connected to the hallway, was filled with scientists, computers, and monitors. The two parts of the room were separated by a door and a two-way mirror. Through the mirror, I saw the girl. She was just a teenager—not a day older than 14—sitting in a big chair, a torture machine. Her head was restrained, preventing any movement. Her arms and legs were bound to the chair, and she was being injected with some blue liquid while being electrocuted. Tears streamed down her face, and her screams filled the room. It was a soul-wrenching sight.

I broke into the room, threw my shield in a way that knocked out all six scientists, and then ran into the second part. I broke the metal cuffs holding her legs, arms, and head, pulled out the tubes, and gently took her out of the chair, placing her on the floor. She was still screaming and crying, trying to push me away. I held her, firm but gentle.