Prologue-Early Life

Tears streamed down her face. Her hands, her small, delicate hands, were balled into fists. She trembled, with shock, anger, and most of all, pain. Her young heart shouldn't know pain... And yet, it did.

She clambered to her feet, knowing that if she didn't get away, run away fast enough, he would get her. He would get her, and hurt her bad like he hurt her mom and her brother, Ashton.

She ran to her mom's room, and opened the door. It swung open with a soft creak, and then she saw him. The bad man hurting her mom.

She screamed, and with a roar of anger, he lunged at her.

She turned, and ran out the door. He followed her, and she cried out for her brother in desperation, knowing the bad man was gaining on her.

"Ashton! Help-!" Her cry was cut off as her hair was grabbed.

"There's no one to help you anywhere, you little brat! All of you, you all belong to me! Don't you ever run away from me again!"

He slapped her across the face, and then he threw her down on the hard floor.

"You all belong to me. Don't ever forget it." He spat.

"As if... I could.." She thought as she watched him walk away from her.

She closed her eyes, and let the pain slowly envelop her.

*************

Her eyelids felt heavy as she blinked at the light that was coming through the small window. Someone had put her in her bed, and had covered her with a blanket. Ashton had, most likely.

She sat up, and winced as her back protested the movement.

"Ashton?" She called out. Her older brother was usually home, although he sometimes went out to get food or other necessities. For a thirteen year old boy, he was a great help for her and her mom. She was two years younger, and she both admired and loved him.

"I'm in the kitchen." She heard him say loudly, and she smiled. He was probably cooking. She stood up, and walked to the small but cheery kitchen. Ashton was there, stirring something in a pot with a wooden spoon.

"Amity, are you okay?" Ashton asked, concern in his voice.

She smiled weakly. "I'm okay, thank you. Is... he still here?"

Ashton's grip on the spoon tightened. "He left after slapping you and hurting Mom yesterday. He hasn't come back."

"I hope he doesn't come back." She said quietly. "How's Mom?"

Ashton sighed. "She hasn't woken up yet... Do you want some soup? It's tomato."

"Yes, please." She answered, and he spooned out a bowl for her. He placed it in front of her, along with a spoon and a bit of bread.

Amity took the soup, and tasted it. She smiled. "Its really good." She picked up the bread, and then frowned at it.

"Ashton, what is this?"

He looked over at her with an amused look on his face. "Am, the thing that you are currently holding in your hand is a piece of bread. It's what humans eat."

She rolled her eyes. "I know that. Why is there blue stuff on it?"

"It's blue cheese." Ashton deadpanned.

Amity burst out laughing. "This is mold, Ashton."

"Do not question my authority. It is blue cheese." He came over, and began tickling her. "Eat the cheese, child!"