The Tale of the Day Loki Disappeared: Part 3

Part 3

Thor, Sif, and the Warriors Three all stared at the dagger and wondered how a Vanir could have possibly slipped by the guards.  The only Vanir who was allowed in Asgard, was Frigga.  All the others were forbidden to cross the borders between Asgard and Vanaheim.  Since Odin defeated them, the Vanir were a disgraced race, once the leaders of the Nine Realms.  Now, they were a rabble of sorcerers, soothsayers, and commons (ungifted).  Odin did not believe that they were a threat anymore, but there were some who still thought so, including Frigga. 

“Why would a Vanir take Loki?  Why’s he so special?” Sif asked.  Thor glanced at her with a raised eyebrow.  Several years ago, Loki had slipped into her chamber and cut her hair.  He had gotten into quite a bit of trouble, but he had had a good laugh.  Sif was still angry at him for that.

“He’s been trained by Volva and Mother in the old magical ways.  Father says that Loki will be very powerful when he’s an adult.  If the Vanir wanted to somehow get even with Father, they would use one of his own sons against him.  I have my strength, they wouldn’t be able to subdue me.  Loki was just telling me that he is still mastering the ability to mentally use magic.  He’s still susceptible,” Thor said.

The Warriors Three looked at each other and then Fandral cleared his throat.  “So, you think that Vanir are going to try to use Loki against Odin?”  Thor shrugged his shoulders and rubbed his temples.

“We have to tell Odin,” Hogun said.  “Kidnapping a Prince of Asgard is a reason for war.”  They all were silent.  War was a word that was not used lightly in Asgard.  Odin was as averse to war as the Dark Elves were to the sun.  But this, Odin had no choice.

“He was kidnapped!  I knew they would be trouble eventually.  Now they’ve taken Loki!”  Frigga was in tears, twisting her rings on her fingers.  Odin had calmly ordered his army prepared and then he listened to what Thor had to say.  When he heard Thor’s reasoning, he stroked his beard.

“But if they wanted to use him against us, knowing what he can and will be able to do, why wait this long?  Loki is seventeen, he’s too old for them to possibly control.  Why not take him when he was a baby?” Odin asked.  Frigga wiped the tears from her face and stood a little straighter.

“Because they don’t want him for his powers.”  Everyone turned to face her with questioning expressions on their faces.  “Some of the Vanir are known for their incredible ability of foresight.  If they waited this long to kidnap him, they must have seen he would be trouble in the future, for them.  They’re going to kill him!

End of Part 3