Beginning

Fear & Anger

The world wants me dead. But I prefer to be mistaken as dead already.

At least twice a week, whenever I roam theoughout the busy downtown of the Czech Republic, I see my wanted poster flashed on newspaper scattered around the streets. Some headlines would say "A kid accused of killing his father!" And some of them would also state "Youngster is a suspect for murdering his beloved father?" I almost choked from my cold coffee. Beloved?

My criminal reports are scattered around the street I am walking on but no one, not even one of them has ever managed to recognize me. In other words, no one knows or even remembers how I look. My father was the only one who has seen me, my mother also did but that was when I was just a nursery. The only way of communication that we both had was phone calls.

I even remembered when her gentle voice mumbled this to me, "Sacrifices are necessary to attain freedom." As a child, I only agreed and nodded. Whatever you say, mom. But today, I started to doubt her. Sacrifices? And who are you willing to sacrifice for what you called freedom then? Oh, of course, the people who also fight and seek for it. And at last, the person who decided to sacrifice those people is the only one to remain.

You did not achieve freedom, all that left is loneliness.

I removed my shades and fixed my newboys cap when I felt the vibration of my phone inside the pocket of my black leather low-waisted pants. It's Olivia, my best friend whom I get to share everything including the crimes people would believe I did.

"Hey, guess what?" Her excited voice was the first one that I heard. I tried to distinguish her location by the sound of her background but I heard none. She must be inside of her condo.

"What?" A tone of curiosity escapes from my mouth.

"I found the name of the great detective!"

My knees started to tremble and my hands started to get cold. That fast? It was just last week when we decided to abduct him. And from all of the people who. wanted to know his real identity, how did Olivia manage to do that? Whatever the reason is, I must be alleviated. I am so close to my objective, I am this near to the path that I have selected to pursue.

Memories of my suffocating past crowded my mind. My father whom I highly respected is the same father who brought me into unending agonies. The same person who awakened the monster inside me. I subconsciously looked at my right arm with a deep scar. Something that I gained from defying him.

But today, it will end. I will end everything. Because starting this day, justice will prevail, and corrupts would never gain a victory again.

There would be no sacrifices anymore because freedom is for everyone, not for selected people who think that they are entitled to survive. The gloomy sky seems to have known my emotions right now. A struck of a lighting strike, a sole thunder growls, the rain started to pour. And along with my crafted anger, I grabbed the gun from my pants, pulled the trigger, then started to run towards the given location.

When I arrived, Olivia was already there. She was leaning outside the building. She snapped her fingers and pointed at the entrance.

"You know, something's strange." She whispered into my ear.

"What?"

"No one is inside this building except from that one room wherein I am pretty sure L Lawliet was in. Do you think it's a good thing? Does fate seem to be in favor of us?"

I shrugged. I bite my lips, fighting my wrath. This is strange, very unprecedented. Did they already expect us to arrive? It's not impossible. He is not the world's greatest detective for nothing.

I gathered my strength before proceeding inside. This is now or nothing. I have worked hard and I did not reach this far only to give up along the way. So what if he knew? I am not a coward to back off just because he's already anticipating me. Giving up is the last alternative that I would choose.

I stepped inside with light feet, I tried hard not to make any noise. Olivia was outside to tell me if something is strange, though it's even more strange inside. As Olivia said, no one is here. It's hauntingly empty inside. The dim lights, a quiet atmosphere, and the sound of rain outside are enough to deliver me shivers. Cold wind made a pass through my body causing me to develop cold sweats.

I inhaled aggressively when I reached the right floor. Two doors from where I stand I can hear the sound of the keyboard tapping, someone is certainly inside. I held the gun tighter and aimed at the door and busted it open.

A man in a white shirt and blue pants, seated in a very poor position. Both of his feet are stepped on the chair while facing the computer, with a cup and piece of cake located beside him. He did not even move a bit even after I arrived.

An inexplicable fear coated me when he started to turn around. It's him, the man whom you decided to intricate yourself with. The dim lights and the glow of the computer behind him illuminated his features. He has a plain, impassive face and eyes that bear deep shadows beneath them.

I smirked when our eyes met. You can't escape from me starting today detective, this is your fate. To be with me, to be my ally. Whether you're in favor of it or not. You're doomed, and so am I.

"Nice to meet you L Lawliet, I am Veneanne Justine. I only have one objective, to begin with..." I pointed my gun at him.

"Investigate me, detective."