Chapter 1

“Next up we have Ashley Bennett! She’s co-captain of the cheerleading squad, alongside yours truly, loves adventure and is up for just about anything! Let’s start the bidding at fifteen dollars.”

The sound of Amber’s voice vibrates through the microphone, causing my ears to ring. When will this pathetic end-of-year carnival end already? I look over at Brent sitting in the chair beside me, whistling and hooting at the girls on stage.

            “Dude, come on, have some class. They aren’t pieces of meat,” I say, shoving his shoulder to get his attention. It’s moments like these that make me question my choices of best friends.

            “You’re right, Austin. They may not be pieces of meat but that’s not going to stop me from having a little fun, is it? Look, they’re just standing there, showing off and acting pretty in hopes the desperately horny teenage boys, not unlike myself, will throw cash at them for a date,” he replies, leaning back in his chair.

I try to resist the urge to kick the legs from underneath the chair as my eyes roll to the back of my mind, the thought of my promise to Amber that I would behave tonight masking the annoyance in my voice.

            “It’s a charity auction, not a strip club,” I guess it’s true what they say – when you have a baby girl, you see women differently. But if I’m being totally honest, my little sister is the last thing I want to be thinking about right now. Carson does look hot in that dress. Hell, the girl looks hot in just about anything. I bet she looks even better without anything – hold up, what is Amber doing?

            Amber had just finished naming all the “bachelorettes”, as they were calling them, and was now standing at the microphone with a malicious grin spreading across her face.

            “I know that look; what the hell is she about to do?” I say aloud to no one in particular. Out of nowhere, Kaeden is thrown on stage. Amber grabs the clipboard from her grip, tossing it to Ashley back stage. Clearly uncomfortable and out-of-place, Kaeden goes to move away but Amber pulls her in close.

            “Give it up for Kaeden! She’s co-chair of the student planning committee, has no social life to speak of and will probably end up alone. Which one of you lucky bachelors is going to deflower White Hill’s wallflower?” Amber says to the crowd, as people call out mockingly. Is this a joke?

            “I’ve got – uh – two dollars on me,” Brent says, standing up. He throws the crumpled bills on the table, snickering and high fiving the guys around him.

            “Sold!” Amber says, trying to contain her laughter. Scoffing, Kaeden pushes herself away from Amber’s giggle fit and jumps off the stage, walking towards Brent with the money in his hand.

            “How ‘bout you make this worth my while?” he suggests, smirking. I push myself up and out of my chair, walking over to where they were standing. Before I can even begin to say anything, Kaeden pushes past Brent and stops in front of me.

            “Hey, um, you don’t have to do this. It’s stupid – he’s stupid,” I manage, trying to meet her eyes.

            “What? Don’t you trust me?” she whispers, smiling.

            “It’s not you I don’t trust,”

With that, her fingers lift up to touch mine, gently resting against the backs of my fingers. The feeling of her hand on mine sends shivers up my arms, all the way down to my back. My eyes catch a glimpse of her intensely blue eyes staring up at me.