08 | The Bigger They are . . . The. Bigger. They. Are.

I step back through the doors of the bar, but this time I feel and look completely different.

I've slicked my hair back into a low bun, easier to deal with and also easier to disguise the auburn strands - with the help of my shadows of course. Black inky shadows hide the red strands. The shadows melting into my irises and turning them black.

Who knew a power that I'd only known of recently could be so helpful.

The long sleeve and tights I chose make sure nothing of my skin is exposed, keeping my identity and my secrets just that much more hidden.

A mask covers my lower face, leaving only my eyes exposed, which isn't uncommon in underground fighting but feels uncomfortable as I walk further into the bar, with Candace's eyes jumping straight to me.

I pray she doesn't recognise me and it seems my prayers are answered as soon as her eyes flit over me, finding something else to focus on with an intensity only Candace seems to possess.

I take a deep breath, scanning the crowd for Kade, Killian or Malachi but none of them are anywhere to be seen and I slowly let out the breath, letting my posture relax, showing lazy confidence.

I guess it's my lucky night.

Twisting through the growing crowd, I move for the center, my eyes taking in the two opponents in the ring, circling each other like they'd done this millions of times. Maybe they had.

They grin, their smiles almost familiar with one another and it takes me a second to realise one of the men is Kade, his shirt off and gleaming, sweaty muscles on display. I stop where I am, nestled between a small crowd of people, all jeering and watching the two men fight with appreciative whistles and rapt attention.

It's almost a dance as the two circle once more and then Kade moves. Swift as a cobra, he strikes, the muscles in his biceps contacting under the raid fire move and I suck in a breath through my teeth, becoming as enrapt in the show as the patrons.

Sweat drips between the dips and crevices of his back muscles, gliding between scars peppered along the tan flesh and my eyes want to trace them, find out what caused them but i force myself from that train of thought when his opponent moves forward, attacking Kade with a ferociousness that is only learnt through years of training.

The fight continues but ultimately it's Kade who wins, grinning at his opponent in triumph. The other man sticks a finger up at Kade but the grin on his face shows no anger and the clap on his back further proves that they're friends.

I watch Kade jump from the platform, his naked back disappearing between the crowd, swallowed up instantly and I turn my attention back to the man still standing on the platform as another steps up taking his place, his eyes sweeping over the people below. A shiver goes through me, but I stay silent as another man joins him, eyes moving towards the patrons.

"Seems Cain here still has a lot of fight in him, who's up for the challenge?"

He must have already fought tonight, and judging by the way he grins, he won.

I sweep my gaze quickly over the people before I lift my hand.

The crowd quietens but I keep my sharp eyes on the announcer, who eyes me with barely concealed curiosity.

The silence is soon followed by a ripple of snickers and disbelieving glances. The idea of a girl stepping into the ring is met with skepticism. I ignore the looks and whispers, my focus unwavering.

"Very well, come up here."

With lethal calm, I weave through the crowd until I reach the edge of the ring, hoisting myself up and bending under the rope, the move so familiar it almost feels like home.