Tu hai udaasi bhari koi haseen daastan

Sameer silently gazed at Naina as the dinner invitation repeatedly played in his mind... he wished it was as easy to roll it out of his mouth.

Naina turned to her brother, reading his silence differently, "Ayush, sir ke doston ko tu nahi jaanta na... unki party mein gaya toh bore ho jayega."

Sameer bit his lip. The words that his mind had formed... the words that were on the tip of his tongue... the words that conveyed his real wish for his birthday... remained unspoken. No, he couldn't ask her... he couldn't say it.

Ayush looked at Sameer, a pleasant smile on his face, "Okay. Jab aap mere bday pe aaoge toh aap mere saath cake cut kar lena. Main apne friends ko bolunga woh aapke liye bhi Happy Bday sing karein... phir aapki party mere saath ho jayegi."

Sameer finally came out of his dreamworld, amazed at the easy acceptance of Ayush. Unable to say anything, he just smiled and nodded.

At home, he stood before the mirror, looking at himself in frustration, "Achha khaasa mauka tha... Ayush ke saath Naina ko bhi aana padta... thodi si aur himmat kar leta toh tera kya chala jaata. Ab baitha reh chupchap akela. Iss speed se toh Naina ko apne kareeb laane tak saare baal safed ho jayenge. Usne itni badi secret share ki tere saath, matlab woh tujhe dost toh maanti hai. Phir bhi tujhse ek dinner ke liye nahi pucha gaya. Agar Naina tak pohochega hi nahi toh uska saath kaise payega? Sirf ghar mein entry milne se nahi chalega, Sameer beta, dil mein entry ki try maar."

With an exasperated sigh, he straightened. Whatever subtle expressions he had given, Naina never reacted to anything. Was it her ignorance... or her refusal?

"Nahi, aisa kuch nahi hai." He said in a determined voice, disagreeing with himself, "Naina sach mein mere saath comfortable hai... she trusts me, Ayush ke saath bhi aur khud ke liye bhi. Tabhi aaj shaadi wale jhoot ke baare mein bataya."

The thought again made him tremble... he couldn't tolerate even an imaginary husband for her.

"Isse achha toh mujhe husband banke milne ko bol deti." He muttered angrily... as he said it, the enormity of such scenario hit him, and he blushed.

Next day turned out to be a busy one as nanu called him to the library after breakfast to discuss something. It was past lunchtime by the time they ended their meeting. He called up Naina to ask if he could join them for shopping, but she told him they had already bought everything from the close by shop. Having no excuse to visit her, Sameer spent the evening working out rigorously.

8th of June was a big day in the Maheshwari Somani household. Early morning, the knock at his door announced nanu's arrival.

"Good morning, nanu." Sameer opened the door, dressed up for office.

Giving an appreciative look to his grandson, nanu placed a hand on his head, "Janmdin ki bohot saari shubhkamnaayein. Tera har sapna poora ho... jaldi se jaldi."

Sameer bent down to touch his feet, a little perplexed at the precise words. When he straightened, the happiness in nanu's eyes did have a hint of mischief.

"Aaj aapne har saal wala ashirwaad nahi diya... tujhe khushi mile, sehat mile, tarakki mile, sadbuddhi mile... bas shortcut mein nibta diya." Sameer said lightly, aware that nanu wouldn't answer clearly if he asked.

"Arre yaar, darwaze pe hi khada rehkar aarti karun kya? Andar toh aane de." Nanu ignored his question, showing him the pooja thali in his hands.

Sameer moved aside, and walked in behind nanu. It was an yearly ritual. On behalf of his wife, who was particularly religious, he always performed aarti for all his children first thing in the morning on their birthdays. After putting the tilak, he put a piece of laddu in Sameer's mouth, "Yeh teri nani ka ashirwaad."

Na Jaane Kyon...जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें