One Hour

The first day of mid-term exams is finally here, and you the least bit prepared. The early sun beams through your window as the sound of your first alarm chirps. You didn't plan on waking up just yet, but the sound of Sasha rumbling around in her closet kept you from falling back asleep.

You feel Sashas gaze from across the room. She always woke up earlier than she needed to, mostly so that she could enjoy a full breakfast before class.

"What are you staring at?" you groan.

"Well, good morning to you too, Princess," she snarls.

You weren't a morning person, to say the least. If it were up to you, you wouldn't wake up until noon. However, you did have exams today, and there's no way Sasha was going to let you go back to bed.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bite your head off," you sigh, "I'm not exactly eager to take the exam today."

"Well, if you would set that silly journal of yours down and focused when we studied, you might feel a bit more confident about today, huh?"

"It's not silly," you protest, "and it's not like you're any better. You wouldn't stop drooling over The Bachelor last night."

Sasha rolls her eyes, "If only guys like that existed here in Shiganshina."

Forcing yourself out of your warm bed, the cool spring breeze flowing from your open window nips at your skin. You take a minute to stretch, letting a long exhausted yawn escape your lips. You feel extra tired today. You couldn't tell if it was from the lousy dorm mattress or the fact that you were up until one in the morning writing. Whatever the cause, you needed coffee.

You slip a grey knit sweater over your head, pairing it with the mom jeans you had worn the day before and your boots. "Hey, I'm going to grab some coffee before class. Want anything?" you ask, tightening your belt.

"I'll take a strawberry creme frappuccino," she settled, handing you some cash.

You nod, heading for the door. Swinging your bag over your shoulder, you breathe in the sweet spring air. Your beautiful silky hair flowed lazily behind you as you make your way toward your mother's old Volkswagen.

Despite growing up rich, you and your mother left that lifestyle in the past. You lived comfortably, which was even still well beyond the means of residents in Shiganshina. When you moved in with your mother, you made sure to blend in with the rest of the crowd, which meant leaving behind your expensive designer clothes and shoes. Although, you didn't mind. That sort of thing never held much value to you. You preferred to dress comfortably. In Utopia, some might've viewed your style as "dull" or "homely." Nonetheless, you blended in seamlessly just the way you liked.

After spending way too long in line at Starbucks, you grab your iced coffee and Sashas overly sugary frappucino and head back to campus. You have ten minutes to make it to class, and you could not be late. Professor Smith wouldn't hesitate to chew you out in front of the whole class, leaving you embarrassed and unable to focus on your exam.

With one minute to spare, you barge through the doors, and all eyes land on you. You make a beeline toward your seat next to Sasha before handing over her spare change and drink. "You better enjoy that Brat," you hiss. "Also, thanks for the coffee."

Sasha huffs as she realizes you used her money to pay for your own drink. But, she owed you after waking you up early.

"I will begin passing out your exams. Please keep your eyes on your papers and stay silent until everyone has completed their test." Professor Smith's piercing blue eyes dart to you mid-sentence, causing you to choke up.