Glue (one shot story)

She was pissed.

She was absolutely pissed off with herself for being such an immature being. She knew that she should get over her crush for her next-door neighbor who only saw her as a younger sister. He knew she existed alright, but not in the way she wanted to in his eyes.

He had been just a tall and lanky young man when he first caught her attention. She had been new in the neighborhood and he had been the one who had first befriended her. He had always been polite and always had a smile ready for her. His eyes that sparkled whenever he smiled had been what initially attracted her.

Years had passed and when she heard that he had acquired a girlfriend, she decided to stop her musings about him. She turned her attention to other boys in the neighborhood and she had, for a time, succeeded. But whenever she heard that, for some reasons known only to those involved, he broke up with his girlfriend, hope surged anew in her heart.

And so came the time that she wanted to stop this insanity that seemed to infilct her more. It would be easy now that she had learned that he had a new girlfriend whom it was said to be the best ever. He even dubbed his new girlfriend "the glue who has put the pieces of my heart together." Maybe this was the one that will last.

One day, she came up with a resolve: She would only see "the boy next door" as an older brother that he had always been for her. He knew her deepest secrets alright, but that didn't mean he could love her the way she wanted him to. She thought of this as she was looking at him from afar.

"You must have loved him enough to remain silent." a man beside her said. She looked up to find one of her friends looking at her intently.

"What do you know?" She asked, smiling.

"A loving heart can sense these things." He said.

Her heart stopped. Could it be that she found her own brand of "glue"?