Meeting

I was in my room wrapped in a fleece blanket in my comfy armchair reading a book from Dr. Davy’s reading list to get a head start when I heard the door unlock. The smile on his face was so big when he entered that I thought it definitely hurt. His sparkling eyes reflected the warmth in his heart and in his words.

“Hi you...” he told me and came close to me towering me.

“Hi” I said and stood up leaving the blanket fall to the floor while I welcomed him to my arms.

“Congratulations!” I continued buried to his chest.

“Thanks, baby” he beamed.

“So, how does it feel?” I questioned him resuming my previous position.

“I don’t know…I have no words. I feel so …overwhelmed?” he confessed.

“Did you hold him?”

“Yeah…Val, he is so tiny…and I think he looks like me…” he said content pulling up from the chair so that he could sit, placing me on his lap and I drew the blanket to cover my legs.

“Then he must be really handsome…” I replied.

“That he is …” he said and held me tighter “I wish you were there…I meant it before, you know...” he said and stared in my eyes “I wish he was ours”.

Not knowing how to reply to something like that, I just reciprocated the heartwarming smile.

***

“This is either very good or I must be famished…” Harry said chewing his last bite.

“You are famished” I laughed taking his plate to the sink.

“…and I am so exhausted. Let’s sleep pleaseeeeee” his voice playful.

“Go take a shower and I’ll finish the dishes here…”

“Don’t be long…”

“I won’t”

I could hear him talking with Rose in the corridor telling her how happy he was that the baby was fine and her congratulating him. He was genuinely happy. You could sense that he was wound up about it. I didn’t know exactly how our life was going to be like from then on but I was grateful for the time we spent together so far and I was determined that I would do everything in my power to support him in his new role.

Harry was under the covers, his eyes closed obviously worn out from the day’s events and I followed. With his eyes still closed, he pulled me to him, my back to his front in a cuddle.

“Sleep, Harry...sleep”

“Are you OK, baby?” he asked unexpectedly.

“Yeah, don’t worry about me…” I answered trying to reassure him.

“Are we OK?” he asked almost worried needing me to comfort him in a way.

“Yeah, we are…” I said in a whisper.

“I love you…” he said half asleep. “I just love someone else, too, now…Is this even possible?” he said and I could sense his grin.

“Yeah…it is. I love you, too…hush now…go to sleep.”

His confession melted my heart. He was ready for this. I was sure that despite being so young he would be a great dad. That boy was a part of him and surely he was a little miracle…and he looked like him. I was certain that I loved him, too, even though I hadn’t met him yet. Babies are sweet and cute and adorable and Harry’s baby would be no different. I couldn’t wait to see him but all in due time, no rush for that.