chapter one

Returning to Hogwarts was always the best time of the year. It was early September, and so the sun still shon down, radiating onto everything in its path. The cool breeze kept the warmth at a balance, not too hot nor too cold. I stepped away from the barrier, glancing around at Platform 9 and 3/4.

It was packed with students from every year, scared first years, sad seventh years, and a mixture of emotions from the rest. I began dragging my suitcase towards the train, stepping on and wandering down the corridors, looking for my friends. My owl Ava, hooted quietly in her cage as she spotted all my friends bundled up in a carriage. As soon as I slid open the door, none other than Hermione Granger jumped up and pulled me into a hug.

"Hello Esmerelda, I've missed you so much" she exclaimed, smiling widely as she pulled me out of the hug. "Hey 'Mione" I grinned back. Hermione and I had been best friends ever since I helped her in the first year to find Neville's toad.

I picked up my case and pushed it onto the compartments at the top, settling down next to Hermione as I greeted the rest of the group. Harry, Ron and Ginny all sat on the seat opposite, smiling and answering all my questions about their summer.

"Ron and Hermione started dating" Ginny grinned, winking at me. I laughed loudly and hugged Hermione who was blushing scarlet. "Finally, we've all been bloody waiting for you to pluck up the courage Ronniekins" I giggled, pinching his cheek.

"Well um, actually, Hermione asked me" he said shyly. I gasped.

"Hermione Jean Granger you absolute queen" i said as the rest of the group burst into laughter.

We were soon interrupted by the sound of the carriage door sliding open as two rather tall redheads stepped in.

Fuck.

Fred and George Weasley stood next to me, a big smirk plastered on Fred's face, and George was smiling at me, looking ecstatic to see me. George and I always got along and soon became very close friends, spending the whole of 4th and 5th year together. On the other hand, Fred and I were the complete opposite. I hated him, he would always trick me and play ridiculous pranks on me, making my hatred grow over the years.

But I just couldn't deny how attractive he was. He'd grown over the summer, of that was even possible. His lanky build was now more masculine, broad shoulders and bulging biceps. His hair was still the same fiery red, his face flitted with freckles as they danced across his now defended jawline. Even though I hated him, he we undeniably attractive.

"Hey Esme" he smirked, raising an eyebrow at me, obviously catching me staring.

"Fred" I replied coldly.

I got up from my seat and walked over to George who was now chatting to Ginny. "Hey Georgie" I grinned, pulling him into a hug. He smiled into my hair, ruffling it with his hand as I pulled away.

"Hey curly" he said. He knew I hated when he called me that, it was definitely a way too point out the bloody obvious. I had long brown curly hair, green eyes and hundreds of  freckles just like all the Weasleys, but people only seemed to notice my curly hair. I'd gotten use to the nick names, curly, noodle head, curly fries, you name it and I've had it all before.

"How was your summer, we all missed you" he spoke, placing my hands on his shoulders as I smiled at him broadly.

"It was surprisingly good this year, now I'm 17 i can just apparate to my cottage, away from my father you know" I smiled sadly, squeezing his arm as he winced at my words. I told George about the abuse my farther gave me as a child, it seemed only right for him to know why I didn't want my friends to meet him. It got to bad at one point, and so I decided to buy my own cottage, where now I know he will never find me. I made sure if it.

He got so angry when I told him, threatening to kill him if he ever hurt me again. He'd always been the big brother I needed since I was an only child, without a mother. She ran away when I was young, leaving me alone with my farther, knowing what he was like. I always resented her for abandoning me.

Once he had calmed down, he sat in between Hermione and I, Fred taking my other side. I sighed as he sat next to me, his strong cologne filling my senses. He smelt like gunpowder, honey and an aftershave I could only describe as Christmas. It smelled like cinnamon and winter spices.

Why the fuck does he have to smell so good.

I tensed as he shuffled closer to me, knowing he was watching me. I rolled my eyes and turned to him, that same smirk plastered on his face.

"Personal space, Weasley?" I spat, narrowing my eyes at him. He just smirked even wider, resting his arm on the headboard behind us. God he pissed me off. He was so bloody full of himself.

My eyes darted from his chocolate ones to where he has placed his arm. His veins ran along his arm and down to his hand where they were decorated with rings. I smiled internally as I saw he had painted his finger nails bright red and black, some of it chipping off. 

"Since when did you have a tattoo on your finger, Weasley?" I asked, spotting a small infinity sign inked on his finger.

"Got it done over the summer, pretty sick, huh?" He said, flexing his hand to show it clearly. I couldn't help but blush at his hands, his long fingers resting on his lap. He definitely seemed to notice.

"What are you blushing at Esme?" I quickly looked away from his hands and stared at the wall above Ginny who was still chatting to the rest of the group. They were all oblivious to the conversation between her and Fred so i faced him, Watching his eyes light up as i did so.

"I still hate you Weasley, but you um, you have nice hands" I smiled shyly, my face turning pink. I quickly looked away, my hair falling into my face, hiding my now scarlet cheeks.

I heard Fred chuckle from beside me and he lifted his hand up to my chin, forcing me to look at him.

"Thanks Esme, you know" he leaned in closer, whispering so only I could hear. "I have been told, my hands can work magic" he said, staring into my eyes. His hand was still on my chin, sending butterflies to erupt in my stomach. Just those words made my core tingle, a burning urge I'd never felt before. The feel of his skin against mine felt right, and I wasn't sure why. It just completely melted away my hatred for him and I couldn't seem to get enough.

His hand dropped away from my face as I tried to compose myself, staring out of the window as the dull moan of chatter filled my ears. I wasn't paying attention to what they were saying as I couldn't concentrate. I couldn't shake away the feeling that a pair of brown eyes were watching me, and I just wanted to watch them back.