Untitled Part 2

Seeing all the helpless prisoners mourning for food and survival.  Seeing their scrawny faces, striped uniform that looked like pajamas hanging off their tiny bodies, and limbs barely able to function to move as they walked from one place to another in the building.  Looking at himself compared to them he thinks to himself what he could do to help someone in here. 

              This man’s name is Charles and he is a Nazi General who watches over prisoners in the Dachau concentration camp.  Other officers have described him as a tall, stocky built, and respectful man.  He have seen it all from the stories told about him.  As he watched the days go by and people getting weaker he spots one certain man in the camp.  He, like everyone else, is struggling to hold onto life.  Lungs showing out of his skin and arms as small as twig branches on a tree.  Gasping for every breathe as it may be his last.  Charles wants to help him in a way that is hidden but helpful for the man.  He took it upon myself to try and help him kind of get back on his feet to fight for his life and try to get through this horrid experience of concentration camps. 

“Hey prisoner, what’s your name?” Charles called out to him. 

He hesitantly looked up and said “Me? You asking me that question?”

Quickly and without hesitation Charles responded “Yes, you are who I’m talking to.”

Stuttering and scared of answering the question because of fear of what may happen next.  He thinks to himself should I lie or tell the truth of my name.  Unsure of what to do he decides to tell the truth in hope that this man will help him in with his misery.  He opens his mouth and says “Norman, my name is Norman Abramson.” Instantly after answering he thinks to himself that it was a mistake to tell the truth because he doesn’t know this man and usually these generals don’t care for the people they have imprisoned. 

“Ok Norman.  Why don’t you come up here and we’ll have a chat.” Charles reputes

As Norman slowly makes his way to visit with Charles he is under the impression of this man may be giving him some assistance or help to survive.  Norman is hoping that is the case because otherwise the only other option he is thinking through his head would the possibility of death because of how poor of a condition his body is looking.  Step after step Norman gets deeper and deeper into thought of what will happen when he meets Charles.  Will these be his last breathes and steps that he takes or could it be the fresh new start that he needs.  At the top of the stairs awaits Charles.  Once, Norman finally reaches the last step he is greeted by Charles.

Charles greets Norman “Hello Norman, I’ve been occasionally looking around in the camp and have noticed your condition.”  Norman’s face is a light shade of black from all the dirt and grime that has accumulated while in these concentration camps and walking from one to the next.  He is as short as an 8-year-old child but the face of an elder man.  “I’ve recently gotten the urge to try and help a lonely soul who is struggling in this time of need.”  Charles states. 

Norman says “Hello general.  Thank you for your gratitude and seeing me as your one prisoner to help.  Also, I want to know why you are doing this.”

“I have seen you struggling in the past few weeks.  Not knowing how much longer you have to live I thought I could just try to help you get through this.  I am trying to stray away a bit from the awful chain of command that you have witnessed from the bottom to the top of horrible living conditions and minimal food option you have to eat.  I want to be a different general than some of the past officers that you have been around.” Implies Charles.  Norman looks at him blankly but in awe that he is giving him this opportunity.  Moments after Charles finished his explanation Norman was close to breaking down into tears but Charles looked at him and said “You need to toughen up boy or this assistance won’t be helpful if you can’t be strong.”