Chapter 1-New Beginnings

Ally had always wondered what was on the other side of the barrier that protected her village. The elders of the village put the barrier up a long time ago after something awful happened. They had never spoken of the dangers or the evil that they saw. All they said was that there was a great evil lurking beyond the gates that was far too dangerous for anyone else to see. When the elders returned that day, there were only 5 of them; the problem is that 20 elders left. Whatever happened out there is what caused the barrier to be put up.

Every time Ally wanted to be alone she would go and sit at the top of the hill because from there she could see everything. She looked around and saw 5 other villages, each with a barrier of their own. The 5 villages were spread out in a circle as if the villages were built that way for a reason. In the middle of the villages was a forest. Every time she sat on the hill, she wondered what would happen if she could escape and see more than just the village where she had spent most of her life.

Later that night, Ally had a dream. She saw a bright light shining on the forest that was in the middle of the villages and she heard a voice telling her to follow. When morning came, she thought it was nothing more than a dream, but it was much more. Each night for the past week, the dreams continued, but Ally just kept ignoring them, too afraid of what the elders might do if they ever found out. One night, however, when Ally had the very same dream, something was different. The light in the forest kept getting brighter and then all of a sudden, Ally woke up screaming. Her hand was burning and when she looked at it, 3 leaves were there glowing. She panicked and tried to rub it off, but it wasn't going away. Then she looked up and her drawer had started to glow as well. She got up and walked towards it and as she slowly opened it she found a crystal glowing inside. It was the crystal that her parents had left her. The only memory of them that she had.

The next morning Ally decided to stop ignoring her dreams and to find out what was on the other sides of the gate. She had left before sunrise, so no-one would see her and she wore gloves to cover up the insignia that was now stuck to her hand forever glowing brightly. She walked down to the gates at the entrance of the village. After she made sure that no-one was watching, she began to examine the gates and looked for a way through. Ally had a strong feeling that opening the gates would alert the elders, so she had to act fast.

After examining the gates, she came across a mark, which just happened to be the same as the one on her hand. Then, as Ally reached for the gate, the mark on her hand started to glow even brighter, as if it was responding to the mark on the gates and with a flash of light, the barrier was down and the gates opened. Ally had turned around hoping no-one saw, but the elders were there heading straight for her. Her body stopped moving, she was stuck there frozen with fear. She knew she didn't have much time and she knew she wanted answers, so she ran through the gates. It was her only option. The gates locked right behind her and the barrier went back up. She could only dread what would happen if she got caught so she picked up the pace and kept running never looking back again.