Bittersweet Reunion

It was Saturday night and I was home alone on Valentine's Day out of all days. As you can imagine, I was miserable and bored out of my mind. I needed something to do and soon because I was literally starting to lose my mind.

I looked over at my DVD collection from where I was laying on my bed and contemplated watching another sappy Rom-Com but decided against it, because all my movies did was remind me that I was single. What I really needed was some good comfort food to get my mind off this dreaded holiday.

I rolled off my bed and made my way downstairs into the kitchen to get the number from the local pizza place off the fridge. I started to dial the number and was just about to make the call when a knock sounded at the door. I considered ignoring it for a second because I really wanted to order some pizza, but I thought better of it because I knew there was a high chance it was one of my neighbors and my parents would not be happy if I ignored them, especially since they were out of town for the weekend.

I opened the door and as soon as I saw who it was, I made a motion to close it, but I wasn't quick enough.

"Go away!" I yelled and pressed with all my might against the door in an attempt to close it shut but it was all in vain. I wasn't getting anywhere, not with the person on the other side of the door.

"I need to talk to you," I heard that all too familiar voice say and I shook my head in protest.

"No! Now leave before I call the cops!"

"I'm not leaving until you listen to me."

"There's nothing to talk about. You made your choice years ago," I responded, knowing I spoke nothing but the truth.

"I know but at least give me a chance to explain."

"No! I don't want to hear anything you have to say. Not now. Not ever."

"Please just hear me out. I promise you won't regret it."

"No. You've already done enough damage, so please just leave. I'm begging you," I pleaded and leaned my head against the door. I felt a tear roll down my cheek and knew that it would only go downhill from here.

"Abby, please just let me explain."

"If I let you explain do you promise to leave and never return?"

"I'll leave if that's what you want, but not before you hear me out."

"Alright. Explain," I said, pulling open the door. "I'm listening," I told him, looking him dead in the eyes. His eyes were still the same emerald green I remembered, but they were no longer vibrant like they used to be. If anything his eyes were somber like his demeanor.

He was no longer the boy I used to know. He was just a shell of that bright, lively boy I once called my best friend. It was obvious that life had taken a toll on him, but it didn't stop him from growing up. He was now a full-fledged man who was literally the whole package. He was tall, dark, and handsome. He was also the same person who broke my heart the day he left without even saying goodbye so many years ago. That day was the worst day of my life. I thought I had lost my best friend for good, and here he was begging me to hear him out when all I really wanted to do was curl up in a ball and cry.

It took me years just to get over the fact that he left without saying goodbye, and now he was here, opening fresh wounds that it took me so long to close.

I just hope that he doesn't break my heart all over again. I don't think I could take it again. Not by him.

"I'm sorry I hurt you," he started off saying and I scoffed.