Prologue

Ayannah Gracen Moore sat on her bed procrastinating. Online school was her worst enemy and having zero human interaction just made it worse.

SassyDork: hey aya

SpecialChild: aya we need helpppp

What do you two need

SpecialChild: have u done the hw

Nope

SassyDork: ur no help

Ik

SpecialChild: I wanna go to target

SpecialChild: Y'all we should go to Target

SassyDork: bet I'm in

Lil you know my dad doesn't let me leave the house
I'm high risk

SassyDork: ya know that's horrible for ur mental health

Ya but apparently my physical health has to come first

Ayannah threw her phone down and sighed. She wanted nothing more than for Corona to go away. She missed school, her friends, and not being trapped in the house. Ayannah decided to go downstairs and get a quick snack before doing her homework. She plugged her earbuds into her phone and walked to the kitchen while listening to Panic! At The Disco.

"Hey dad" she said while grabbing a protein bar.

"Hey Sweetie, did got finish your homework?" Her dad asked.

She bit the inside of her lip. "Not yet. Have you heard from mom lately?"

"No, I know she left for another business trip yesterday but I haven't heard much"

Ayannah sighed. "Ok"

Her dad walked over and put a hand on her shoulder. "I know it's hard" Ayannah looked away. "I'm going to the store. Don't-"

Ayannah cut him off. "I know, I know, don't leave the house and lock all the doors. I'll see ya later dad"

He smiled. "I love you, text me if you need anything"

Ayannah took a bite of her protein bar and changed her music playlist to Hamilton, Newsies, Les Mis, and Six. She was a giant history nerd so these were her favorite musicals. Sometimes her friends would get mad at her for pointing out the historical inaccuracies all the time.

She looked outside at her backyard from the glads window. It wasn't a very big yard, mostly because they kept making the house bigger for some reason. Ayannah couldn't even go in the backyard because it was so close to the neighbor's yard and those kids were ALWAYS outside. Ayannah took a deep breath and went to go back to her room.

Ayannah had a defect at birth which caused her to have a prosthetic leg. She also had mild asthma. None of this had ever phased her that much until Covid-19 happened. Now, she wanted nothing more then to be normal so she could be outside more.

She placed her hand on the door in a longingly way. The door looked like it glitched.

Ayannah pulled her hand back immediately. 'What in the world?" She thought. She slowly placed her hand back and the door no longer looked like it showed her backyard.

"It looks like the past" She whispered. Ayannah stuck her hand on the glass, except the glass wasn't there anymore. "I could escape it all" Ayannah grinned and thought about jumping in. "No. This is dangerous and I can't leave my home. No matter what my heart wants"

It suddenly got cold, almost as though there was wind in the house. She was pulled towards the door. "Wait! I can't go!"

Ayannah was sucked into the door before she could comprehend what happened.