Chapter 1

Slide Right, Pivot Sequence, Right step, left together right, throw back head 1 and 2, right step left together chest rests on knee 3 and 4, pivot to left 5, plie 6, snap up 7, snap do-
"Piper!" I heard and turned my music off. I looked over at my teacher. I figured she was just going to tell me that she had to go to a meeting or was for lunch, as she did a few times a week.
"Yes ma'am?" I responded, still dancing without realization.
"We have a new student, and I have a conference in five minutes. Mind showing him the ropes?" Ms. Thymes asked.
Yes, I mind. I mind a lot, actually!
I digressed and nodded. She allowed the boy to walk in front of her. His gait was carefree and effortless. He had what I could tell was going to be an ever present smirk on his face. His eyes only moved left to right, never once up and down. The old stage creaked, but only when he took a step with his right foot. He got a little too close to me and put his hand out to shake.
"Cameron." I pretended to not see his hand.
"Piper." I said with no emotion, but if I had expressed an emotion it would have been something between annoyance and disgust.
"Well, I'm sure you two will get along quite well!" Ms. Thymes said and left the auditorium . As soon as I heard the door close I went back to my work. Revising my monologue for the twentieth time.
"So, what's all this?" The boy said and gestured to the things I had spread out across a portion of the stage.
"Work." I said, ignoring him and violently erased part of the monologue I was working on.
"Well, what do you do around here?" He asked.
Will this boy ever shut up?
"You name it, I've been in charge of it." I remarked and avoided eye contact at all costs.
"Is showing me around one of those things?" He asked, leaning cockily against the wall.
"No. You are not my responsibility." I said and grabbed my notebook and phone before leaving the room.
It wasn't just him. This was me around everyone.