SEVEN

"Jii-chan!" you exclaimed in delight, running to your grandfather. He left out a hearty laugh when your arms wrapped around him, your head snuggled in between his neck. He pats your back, returning your warm embrace. "Nice to see you too, pumpkin."

You let go off and walked over to the clothing rack behind him but not before kissing his cheek. You pulled out a stained beige art apron and wrapped the strings around your waist. You glanced at the kindle table and the dry chunk of clay on top of it, "Is that for a customer or a personal project?"

He eyes his work, "A new project." he sighs, leaning back in his chair.

Your grandfather was named Araya Ogata, known as the local potter in the small town his lived in. He mostly known for his work of vases, plates, urns, and other works he made in his shop. Almost everyone knew him and of his kind heart that never failed to show kindness to everyone who walked in his shop. Sure you didn't live in the country but whenever you visited, you spent most of your time with him either helping him out or him teaching you. His shop was a safe place for you.

You walked into the back supply closet and came back with a big chunk of dry clay. Once you to get an empty seat, you slam it on the kindle and pour some water over it. You manage to get your flow going before looking over at your grandfather, "So, how's thing?"

"Shouldn't I be asking you that question?" Araya slyly retorts, standing up from his stool. He puts his hands on his back,  groaning as he stretches out his back. After that his arms fall to his side and he makes his way to his desk towards the back of the shop. "What do you mean?" you ask, hearing various noises behind you. You heard the sound of Araya getting his glasses, the sound of him rustling some papers, and the same noise of his squeaky chair whenever he sits down.

Araya's eyes are glued to mountains of paper in front of him. He reaches for one them and reads it as he says, "I mean, you and Yamoto leave for months and barely call me."

You scoff, "How am I supposed to call you when you never pick up?"

"To be fair, I am a busy man."

You grumble in response, your eyes moving back to the pile of clay in your hand. You had no idea of what you were molding but the idea of not knowing excited you. "Well, things have them fine."

"Fine?"

"Mhmm."

"So then why did you apply to Tokyo Jujutsu High?" Araya calmly asks, his eyes leaving his paper. He stared at the back of your head and noticed the way you tensed up where you sat. Instantly, the hairs on your head stood still, the whole chill atmosphere of the shop vanished along with any sound following it. The only thing that you could hear was the subtle noise of your kindle spinning.

You took a deep breath, trying your best to ignore your grandfather's eyes on you. Not how I wanted to break the news to him. "Oppa-"

"It's so surprising it isn't." he laughed, looking down at his wooden desk and his papers. "Every one of my kids and now their own kin are basically running to their deaths."

"Now that's not fair and you know it!" you stopped what you were doing and stood up, turning to Araya. "You know why I want to this; why I have to do this!"

"That's the problem, y/n. I don't." he retorted. "I don't get why you want to help him even after all he's done."

"Are you forgetting that it doesn't only affect him but it affects me too?! Do you think I want to live the rest of my life walk a living, walking jinx?!"

"No, I don't but there are ways to have this handled that don't have you ending up dead!"

"No, no there isn't and you know that!" you yelled, clenching your fists. "Ever since I was baby, we've been to all the priests and sorcerers but they've never worked and they never will! I have to do this, why can't you understand that!"

"Because I don't want you like him!" Araya slammed his hands on his desk as he rose up from his seat. You flinched in response, your once strong and heated demeanor melting into one of fear. Araya immediately noticed and his brows met, his hands gripping the wood of his desk with much force. "I-I'm sorry..I didn't mean to-"

"D-Don't. You know exactly what you meant." you spat. Silence flew on the two of you, tension coming along with it. Araya's head was down while you stared right at him. You didn't realize you were trembling until you took a shaky breath. You gasped as you slapped a hand over your mouth, breaking into a cold sweat with your eyes shifting from one place to another. You ran to your bag and coat and grabbed them before running out the door of the shop.