Chapter One

Chapter One: First Meet

It wasn't unusual for soldiers to be called to Commander Erwin's office. The Scouting Legion was strict with their rules, and not everybody can follow them without a hitch. But most called to the commander's office included the higher ranked officers such as squad captains. Though when the higher-ranked officers were normally called, the commander would normally state the reason for calling them; and usually it was only updates or new orders. Out of the current captains, no one had expected Laura Tarell to be called to Erwin's office for unknown reasons.

Laura set a pace for herself as she walked. Erwin had only just returned this morning from his visit at Wall Rose, the chances of him finding out of her misconduct during his absence was near to impossible. Commander Erwin's trip lasted for a week, and during the week Laura and Hanji had stayed up past the usual lights out and this made them tardy almost every morning. It wasn't as if they were doing anything bad per se, they just spent their newfound freedom away from Erwin's watchful eye to play old maid and chess. Now that she thought back to it, there wasn't much merit to breaking curfew, they probably did it just for the sake of going behind Erwin's back. It was a dumb decision, and now Laura was going to hear it from Erwin. Someone must have ratted her out; only she was called to Erwin's office, this could only mean that it was either Richter or Jaime that ratted on her.

She paused outside the tall wooden door. She was beyond nervous, not once has she ever gotten in trouble with her commanding officers. Whenever she spoke to the commander, he only had praises or new orders for her. Instinctively, she began tapping her foot and crossed her arms as she stalled. She knew full well that stalling wouldn't do her any good, and the time available to her was limited before Erwin starts to lose temper over her tardiness. Without her even realizing, her foot began tapping faster and louder than before. But her thoughts were spinning in her head, and she could hardly hear anything else but her own voice screaming internally.

Laura was suddenly blinded when the door in front of her was pulled open. The suddenness startled her so that she took a short step back. Instead of Erwin at the door, there stood someone completely unfamiliar to her. He wasn't tall; she stood taller than him but only by no more than six centimeters. But what she noticed first wasn't his small stature, but the dreary look in his eyes. Lingering her gaze on his features, she didn't stop looking until he spoke.

"Was that you tapping behind the door?"

"... That's irrelevant," she regained her composure. "Who are you and why are you in Commander Erwin's office?"

"... Oi, Erwin, there's some woman here," ignored her remark and walked back into the room. "I thought you said we were waiting for someone important."

"Commander?"

Laura followed the stranger in and saw that her commander was sitting at his desk. It was like every other day, his desk was already filled with paperwork and mapping plans.

"Commander, what's going on?" Laura brushed past the other man and walked up to the table. "Why is there a civilian here?"

Before Erwin could reply, Laura heard something from behind her. A faint but very prominent sound... did he just click his tongue. Slightly offended by his impoliteness, she was about to give her a piece of his mind before Erwin stood up. He put a hand on her shoulder and gave a soft smile. Every ill thought she had of the other man disappeared. She gave a quick small nod and waited as he approached the man.