Prologue

Mickey:

I woke up to the sound of a loud knock on my door. It was almost a sleepless night. The small dark room was very quiet. I looked over to see Jessica, my significant other, sleeping soundly. Ah, beautiful, I thought. I stood up off the bed an wiped my mouth. I walked out of the bedroom on my way to the front door. In the middle of the hallway I tripped over my cat Izzele. The pretty gray tiger cat stared at me with hungry eyes. She crawled over to me and sat on my chest. Ugh, I thought. I picked her up off of my chest and carried her to the door with me.

I opened the door. No one was standing there but a red note was taped to the door. I grabbed the note and closed the door. I walked Izzele back to her bowl and filled it up with the little bit of cat food we had left. I opened up the note. Of course, another damn eviction notice. "Jessica!" I called out to the back room. "Jessica! Wake up sweetiepoo-pie."

"What!" Jessica screamed from the back, her Hispanic accent blooming. "What the hell do you want?"

"Let's try not to get evicted! Get your ass up, and go to work." She made a loud moaning noise. I started to make our coffee for the morning. When I finished, I walked into the back and got dressed as well. Jessica works across the street from me. She works at Goodtimes and I work at the Village Inn. So we were both in uniform.

After getting dressed and coffeed up we left the apartment and walked to our pick up truck. She was old and rusty but I loved her. The car I mean. We jumped in the old truck and I started it. I popped in my Marshall Mathers LP CD into the radio. Jessica looked over at me, condescendingly. "Really, Mickey?"

"What?" She raised an eyebrow. "OK look I don't need this shit right now. When I'm driving we listen to whatever the fuck I'm in the mood to listen to." She raised both her eyebrows and cocked her top lip. She was giving me the "look" it took about 6 seconds for me to break down. "OK shit! I'll change it." I put in Ed Sheerans album X. She laughed and said "I always win"

"Meanie." I said. We pulled out of the High Hollows Apartments. It was maybe a 3 minute drive I dropped Jessica off at her job and left her the car. I walked across the street to Village Inn.

It was the morning so there were no young people there. Then again it was a village inn there were barely ever young people there.

"Salvadieri!" My boss Mr. McAdams called at me. "You're late. Again."

"Sorry boss. I was in a traffic jam." I replied.

"No excuses I know you live right down the Street. I'm not gonna warn you again. Next time I'll fire you."

"Yes sir." I put on my apron and started waiting tables. The elderly were usually nice and polite. So I did my best to return the favour. It was a slow day so it was easy money. That, I enjoyed.

***

Jessica:

I worked at the Goodtimes across the street from Mickey. I was late again so the manager, Christina was pissy with me. It seemed like a normal day, Not very many people come to Goodtimes, as it isn't a popular restaurant.

But, it was around 2:30, when two armed masked men burst into the restaurant.

"Alright, cutie, put all the money in the bag now!" His voice was raspy and deep.

"Okay, okay." I said. There was $103 dollars in the cash register. "You want me to throw some curly fries in, or something?"

"Bitch, quit playing!" He demanded.

"Shit, I'm sorry I'm trying to help you out." I finish putting the money in the bag and they both ran out with the money. I looked back to see Christina staring at me infuriated.

"Really?" She said "We get robbed you offer the guy some curly fries?"

"He seemed hungry." I shrugged.

"Get out." She said "You're fired just go."

"Well, fuck you then, Christina." I grabbed a burger and some curly fries and left. "Fuck," I exclaimed, "I might've needed that job."

***

Mickey

"Hey, Mickey, your girlfriend's here." Said Mr. McAdams called to me. I looked at the clock, 2:38 must be important, I thought. I walked out of the kitchen to greet her. "Hey babe, what's up? You're messing up my cash flow." She looked over to me hiving me the look. "OK sorry, what's up?"

"Well, I just got fired." She said.

"What? How?"

"One, I was late. Dos, we got robbed."

"How was getting robbed your fault?"

"I offered the guy some curly fries." I put my head in my hands trying my best to contain my laughter. The counter lady-bitch-thing behind us started laughing. We both looked at her.

"You got fired from Goodtimes" she said, and started cackling. I flipped her off.

"Hey, stupid bitch, sit and spin. Mind your own fucking business." A gasp went throughout the whole restaurant. "What y'all act like y'all ain't never heard a nigga say 'fuck'" then this old Betty Crocker bitch stands up and says, "Young man, I really don't appreciate your potty-mouth."

"Oh shut up. Abraham Lincoln said you were a pretty good dirty talker. So you can sit and spin too."

"Mickey!" Jessica shouted.

"Sorry babe. You know my mout-"

"Hey, Salvadieri! Stop it right now. Or I'll fire you." McAdams said. Then Betty Crocker bitch spoke up.

"Yes fire him!"

"Hey, Queen Elizabeth, shut the fuck up."

"That's it! Michael Salvadieri, you're fired!" McAdams yelled.

"Well fuck you too, McAsshole." I called back. I took off my apron and tossed it at him. Then I swept the display pies off the counter, and walked out with Jessica.

We jumped in the truck. It was silent for a minute. Until I spoke up. "Well we both, just got fired, and we owe $750 by next week. This could be bad."