Short Stories - 1 - An Aquarium

The smell of water—filtered, Clorox-ed water—filled the room. People aww-ing and ooh-ing all around. You smile, and close your eyes to enjoy the moment. As you hear a sound, a sound you recognize so well. Children, toddlers, laughing. Your smile turns into a grin, and you call out, "River!" She, with her short cut brown hair that flew in the air for a couple of milliseconds, as she turned to look at you.

  That's when you hear it. River holds your hand, and grips it hard. You squeeze it back as well, to tell her you're there. His annoying, and terrifying footsteps filled the room, the room that has grown silent.

   "When did I tell you two you could come here?" He screeched, sounding like a bird. The room seemed to close in, and everything seemed sad and ruined all of a sudden. It was his fault.

  A scowl started to crawl onto your face.

  "We came to see the fish," You say simply, just barely managing to keep your voice calm. You had to play it right.

  "Did I tell you two you could?" He growled at you. You plastered a smile on your face and shook your head.

  "No, you didn't, but River wanted to come, so that's why we did." Your voice wasn't calm anymore. The room was no longer happy, the second he walked in, was when the happiness lost all hope.

  The sound of a belt jingling with its keys in the air, and heavy footsteps tickled your ear. Your scowl deepened.

  "What is going on here?" The security guard barked as she entered the room. Your face softened as you realized it was your aunt. You had forgotten she had worked at the place.

  "This rebel and the toddler left home without asking!" He said, the lie already spreading its dark energy. Most people had left, but some stayed to watch the scene play out. Your aunt's eyebrow lifted, as she recognized you.

  "Sorry, but your kids would only do that for good reason." Your so-called father turned around to face the security guard. Shock crosses his features.

  "Excuse me?" He was still rude, even if she was family. Of course, if he could treat his own kids wrong, he could treat his sister-in-law wrong.