Boardwalk Breeze

Summer. The warm weather and good company. Everyone has a good summer memory. However, this summer changed my life.

I went to a weekend getaway with a few friends in Michigan. We were planning a trip to my buddy, Jackson's house. His family owns a house off the lake that they loan us for the weekend. I've been friends with Jackson since diapers. He's engaged to Victoria, who we met in college. He was a volleyball players and Victoria cheered him on at his games. The rest was history. Levi is another guy that I grew up with who is engaged to Sofie. With all the pieces together, it was the five of us that went on this trip, and I was the fifth wheel. Honestly, talking to girls is so nerve-wrecking for me. Some girls are just so pretty and I'm awkward and irrelevant.

I meet up with the guys at the house. The girls are on the deck with wine in their hands. I wave over to them and they give a polite wave back. "So Jake, how was the drive," Jackson said. "Not too bad," I replied, "It was uneventful." They laugh, hand me a beer, and walk out to their fiancés. The girls were talking about how great their partner is. I was kinda jealous. I wanted a girl to talk about me that way. "Jake how are you," Sofie said. I nodded and cheers our drinks. "You still can't talk to women, can you," she laughed. Levi nudged her. "Yeah, still awkward like you remember," I said shyly. Levi picked up Sofie and ran towards the shore. "Put me down, asshole!" she said. He threw her into the water and followed her. When he brought her to the surface, they were making out in the lake. Jackson offered his hand to Victoria. "Miss, would you enjoy a late swim in the lake," Jackson said. She laughed and took his hand. I slowly followed behind as they stripped to their underwear into the water. Jackson goes in the water and looks back at me. "C'mon, Jake. Live a little," he said. I was hesitant, but he was persistent. I stripped down with a beer in my shorts and got in the water. "I have an idea," Levi said. "Why don't we have a race, huh. Just dudes, no ladies. Just like old times." The ladies sat on the shoreline and we pushed each other to the shoreline to start. We would start at the shoreline and see how far we would go into the lake without chickening out. "Go!" Victoria said. We pushed each other to get a head start. Little did Levi and Jackson know that I was a lifeguard. I swam as fast and far as I could. The guys pulled back out of breath. I found out that I went too far ahead. I looked back and them and got pulled into the deep water.

I heard faint screams as I got deeper and deeper. I looked down to see what was tugging me, but I couldn't make out what it was. I got a closer look to see a mermaid tugging at my leg. She looked beautiful. Her hair glistened in the moonlight as it floated in the water. Her eyes were bright and welcoming. She gave me a kiss then pushed me back to the surface. On my way up, Jackson grabbed me and rushed me ashore.

"Oh my god, is he breathing," Victoria asked. Jackson performed CPR until I choked up water. I sat up choking. Everyone sighs in relief. I ran back into the water, but I was pulled back by Levi. "No, bro. We just saved you and you want to go back in?"

"Levi, I saw this woman. She was so beautiful," I said out of breath. Levi laughs. "I think you need more oxygen to your brain," he says. We walk back to the lakehouse as I look back to the water.

Victoria suggested that we hit the town to bar hop. The girls get all dolled up and the guys escort them to the taxi. I fall behind fixing my shirt. We all arrive at the bar and the couples make their way around saying hi to their friends. Fairview was a small town in Michigan that everyone knew everyone by hanging out every summer. It's how Victoria and Jackson met and got to know each other more in college. I stood up against a wall swaying to the music blasting from the DJ. I look around to see this group of women. They are laughing, dancing, and having a good time. One of the girls looked very familiar...oh my gosh. It's the mermaid!

I made a beeline to her and gently bumped into her. She fell to the ground and her friends instantly started to attack me. "What's your problem, asshole," one said pushing me. I offered my hand to help her up. We made eye contact. She stared into my eyes. She had the same sparkle in her eye like she did in the water.

"Hi," she said softly. She motioned her friends to back off. "I'm Courtney."

"I'm Jake. You're really beautiful, Courtney," I said smiling. She smiled back at me.  "Don't you remember me?" Her eyes grew in fear and pulled me towards the bathroom and locked the door.

"You're the guy I saw earlier in the water. Aren't you? Why would you go that far away from the shore? It's a dangerous world underwater," she said panicking.

"Wait, I don't understand. How are you a mermaid and a human?"

"All mermaids are human," she said, "But it's rare for a human to see a mermaid, unless you are a merman." The door handle jiggles open. Courtney presses her lips against mine when the door opens. "Some privacy, please," she said to the girl.

"I need to go though," one of her friends said. Courtney grabs my hand, and we leave the bathroom.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know what to do."

"It's alright. Really," I said, "I wouldn't mind wanting to taste your lips again." She removes the hair from my face, cups my cheek and gives me a soft, intimate kiss. Her friends drag her away as she stares back at me. She motions 'call me' but I didn't have her phone number.

"Yo, she totally wants you," Levi comes over, handing me a beer.

"I don't get it. I'm so awkward with women, but with her, it just seems right," I laughed. 

"It's always the crazy ones with you, man," Jackson said. 

After we left the bar, I wanted to sit along the shoreline. I needed to see her again. I snuck out of my room and went to the shore. It was peaceful to see the moonlight against the water. "Looks pretty, huh," a voice said behind me. I got startled, but then I found out it was Courtney.

"Oh hey, I was just looking at the---"

"Sure," she said. 

"Courtney, why are you so cool? Most of the girls I talk to think I'm too weird," I said.

"Then you're hanging around the wrong girls," she retaliated, "You need to embrace that you are weird. No one wants to be normal. Look at me. I'm a mermaid human hybrid. I'm probably the definition of weird. I like you because of your eyes."

"My eyes?" I said.

"Yeah," she giggled, "Your eyes are easy to fall in love with. I see strength, confidence, and kindness in your future."

"You can see into the future?"

"No, but your eyes are the windows to your heart," she said. She planted a kiss on my cheek before heading into the water.

"Wait, Courtney. Can we ever be--you know--" I stuttered.

"Maybe one day. I'll never forget you. And I hope to see you next summer," she said as she dived in. 

Hope. That's all I need.