Natalie

DANNY

I thought the anger would pass with time. "Time heals all wounds" they say.

But as I sit in this cold, empty apartment, with nothing but my dirty clothes, I know that's not true. At least not in my case. In the last 3 months my anger has grown into blinding rage and my rage has grown into hatred. My hatred has consumed me and the only way to remedy that is by retribution. Natalie has to pay.

"Time heals all wounds," they say. But not when they are infected, not when they are corrupted. The only answer is amputation. The police have done nothing, god has done nothing. All my winnings, my property, my best friend...gone. I will not be happy until justice is served. Only one name stays with me as I sleep, as I wake...Natalie. I will find you.

I had never loved anyone before I met her. Her smile was a breeze, always cool and hesitant. She was a firecracker, always in motion, shooting across my universe until I could no longer ignore her. I loved her, I did, but love can so easily turn into hatred. "Don't fall in love", my father once said as he drowned in whiskey, "Love will kill you".

I didn't listen, I fell hard. She killed me, crushed my heart into such minuscule pieces it seized to exist. The worst part is I always knew she would leave me, which is why I showered her with gifts hoping she would stay. I'm no angel, that is true, but when I go to hell, I'm taking her with me. She didn't stay, she left and when she did, she took my life with her

NATALIE

I heard Danny is looking for me. That he's getting close. But I know he'll never find me, the idiot. When we first met I told him. I told him I would never love him. I told him I would always love myself more. I only warn them once. Whatever happens afterwards is not on my conscience. The idiot. He is looking for me, but so is everyone else.

DANNY

It's been a year on this wild goose chase. Following the stories of idiot Danny. Idiot Danny and idiot Pete and idiot Nick and many many idiot men. She warns them and they fall for her anyway. She does the same thing over and over. Pete's back home, says she sold all his stuff too, except he let her do it, then she disappeared with the money. But he isn't angry. He won't even look for her.

"Let it go", he says.

He calls her a free spirit.

"I'm going to kill her," I reply.

Pete laughs. I'm not joking.

NATALIE

Danny is persistent but I've dealt with bigger and meaner than him. I'm not scared. I laugh at him in public, hoping it gets back to him. I hope he knows that I'm not scared.

"I'm not scared", I whisper as I place a new handgun under my pillow.

DANNY

I think I found her.

NATALIE

He found me. He leaves notes signed 'cupcake'. I used to call him cupcake. He is everywhere. Wherever I go I find those notes. He left another note next to my gun. He knows. I am afraid. I can't go to the police. I don't have friends. I am alone.

DANNY

All I need to do is follow her now. I want her to regret it. I want her to suffer.

You better run

Love, cupcake

I've got a ditch with your name on it.

Love, cupcake

I'm coming,

Love cupcake

Noone can save you

Love, cupcake

NATALIE

He's here. I can feel him. I dial 911...

DANNY

They said if I plead guilty I'll spend my lifetime in jail. I told them that I'll be smiling in my cell.

This story was inspired by the song "Natalie", by Bruno Mars. For a long time, it was one of my favorite songs, just because of it's drama and the story Bruno tells through the music. Please let me know what you think!

Writing prompt: Take any song, lyrical or instrumental, and write a story to it.