Chapter one

Jordan's POV
I couch down into the corner. It was my safe place. Loud arguing rang threw the dark house. I let out a soft whimper.
"Don't come closer!" My mothers voice was clear and strong. My father laughed maliciously.
"You can't order me around!" Tears start to slide down my face. The screams just got louder and louder, and my fear just got bigger and bigger.
"Dan! Think about what your doing! Think about Jordan-" my mothers pleads were cut of by her shrill scream. Silence. I decided to go look. Bad idea. My mother lay limp on the floor, blood surrounding her.
"Mommy!" I cry with silent sobs.
"Jordan, you now listen to me, and only me. You can't go out with your friends, heck, you can't have friends! Got it?" Fathers cold voice said.
"Y-yes."
"Now, go to your room!" He orders.
"But-"
"Now!" He yells.

I jolt up, sweaty and gasping for air. My heart was beating fast. I lay back down on the uncomfortable bed. Moonlight entered threw my window. It made my small room just a little brighter, even made me feel brighter. Till I thought about Father. He has a drinking problem, and beats me. I knew I had to get up, but procrastination got the best of me.
Finally I pulled myself out of bed and put on some clothes. Dark blue jeans, a black t-shirt, a black hoodie, and a pair of black combat boots. They had camouflage at the top, making them one of the most appealing things I own. Certainly the most expensive.
Once I had everything on, it was time for my chores. He made me a list.

Make breakfast
Wake father
Make fathers lunch
Make lunch for school
Clean dishes
Clean kitchen
Clean bathroom
Make beds
Make grocery list
Get ready for school
Go to school (no friends!)
Come straight home
Go get groceries
Make dinner
Do dishes
Clean house
Do homework
Go to bed

By the time I'm done all that, I'm going to bed at about eleven thirty, just to get back up again at five thirty.
Once I finish making breakfast, it's time to wake Father.
"Father." I say, in his room. "Father it's time to get up."
"Jordan! Help me up!"
"Yes Father." It was a struggle, but he's finally eating.
"Jordan hurry up and make my lunch! Then clean!" I do as ordered.

I enter my school, head down.
"Hey there's Jordan. What a weirdo."
"She never makes friends."
"She just goes straight home."
"I heard a rumor that says her dad beats her!"
Comments came from everyone. I touched a bruise on my cheek after that last one. Father had punched my jaw. Only one stayed quiet. Jack. Brown hair, fair skin. Sure I've known him since seventh grade, but I haven't actually "talked" to him. He was staring at me. Noticing I knew, he quickly looked away, cheeks red. Then, the bell rang and students started to file into class.

It was the end of the day and I was just head down the schools street when I heard someone call my name. It wasn't my fathers, so I kept going. But soon a hand touched my shoulder, sending sparks down my spine. It was Jack.
"Jordan, didn't you hear me calling?" When I didn't answer, he went on. "Let me walk you home" I frozen.
"Uh, I'm good." I say softly.
"Let me rephrase. I'm walking you home." He said as it was my turn for my cheeks to heat up. We walked in silence. Soon his hand was intertwined with mine, causing my cheeks to burn.

Jacks POV
"Um, I can take it from here." Jordan said.
"No I'll walk you."
"No, go home." She urged.
"I'll at least wait until you get inside." I insisted. She let go of my hand and walked up to her house and went inside. I was about to leave when I heard shouting and a big BANG!