Prologue

Lys-en-Pont, a small French village located in the North-West of France. Less than 1 000 citizens, only farms and the town hall. Here, everyone knew everyone, and people were trying their best.

Their best to survive during the war. Of course, no battles were coming here, they were far from the battlefields.

However, no men were here, except for some old men.

In this calm town, was living a young adult named Vivi. Vivi was a calm woman, aged 24. Her father was in the army, currently fighting the Germans, so she was living alone.

Vivi woke up early as always, arranging her long brown hair into a ponytail and putting her glasses on before heading outside.

She walked for a while, maybe one hour, before reaching another farm. A woman was outside already, even though it was very early, with her kid to take care of their cows.

"Oh, Vivi ! Good morning.

-Good morning, Madam Delacroix.

-Please, wait."

The woman smiled and entered the house, leaving her son behind who looked to Vivi.

"Miss Vivi, do you think we will have good news today ?

-Probably, Leo. Probably. I'm pretty sure of it."

The kid chuckled and Vivi smiled before ruffling his hair. Leo's father was in the army too, after all. But today was a big day. They would have news from the government !

Vivi was very excited, but also a bit scared. No one here was showing their worries, they were all acting as only a good news will fall.

After grabbing some eggs from Madam Delacroix, Vivi headed home, preparing the lunch.

Her house was quite big, for one person.

Her mother has died a few months before the war started.

Hours after her meal, Vivi was reading a book when the door rang.

The young lady opened, discovering one of the citizen announcing her everyone was awaited into the town hall to hear the news.

"Oh, I'm coming."

Vivi nodded and followed him to the place, a lot of people, mainly women, were here.

The mayor's wife was here too, as she was the lead of the town for now.

Vivi looked around the room, a radio was put into the corner and she sat down not far from it to be sure to hear.

"Please...Please, be it good news...

-I want my husband back...Please, please..."

Vivi could hear the whispers of the women around, everyone was worried. The tension was obvious, her heartbeat started to become quicker.

Finally, the radio started. Everyone went silence as tombs.

"Dear French citizens from around the country."

Vivi missed a heartbeat, as the voice was taking his time. It was not normal.

"We lost. Germany won."

Some women screamed, others immediately fell in tears.

Vivi couldn't hear anymore, she was totally frozen of place.

She stood up slowly and left, heading home. Her stomach was hurt, she was feeling totally sick and confused.

She couldn't eat anything as she collapsed on her bed, and she screamed a few minutes later, crying furiously.

It couldn't be real.