Waiting on him

Give me love- contest entry.

Waiting on him.

A/n- This is a cheese-fest! Be warned.

She sat on her porch, all dressed up. She was wearing that dress he liked. The one he said made her look like a younger and prettier version of Katherine Hepburn. Her hair left open and that red lipstick that he adored. She even wore the pearls he gave her on their anniversary.

She sat on her porch, reminiscing about their first meeting. Their accidental date and their combined fates.

She went with her friends to the West Coast to celebrate their graduation. He was there to meet a girl he wrote letters to. In the popular but tiny surf shack that they planned on meeting in, he met her.

Exhausted and drained from all the heat she remembered lying her head down on a table just occasionally taking a sip of her chilled Virgin Mojito. That's when he came to her and asked her which author she preferred- C.S.Lewis or Lewis Carroll, to which she promptly expressed her love for the Mad Hatter. Satisfied with her response he concluded that she was indeed the girl he planned on meeting. They indulged in an hour long debate about Sylvia Plath's writings before he finally invited her out for dinner. It was halfway during their date, he told her that he realized that she was not the one he came here for after all, but he'd grown to like her so much that he'd want to keep meeting her again and again after that day.

He told her he thought it was fate. She told him he must've been a part of her destiny all along, because never have two people ever been more perfect for each other.

He kept his promise. He met her everyday that summer.

He waited for her and she waited for him.

They got married four years after their first meeting. He kept his word and they did see each other everyday for the next thirty three years.

She sat on the porch again looking out at her lawn. She saw the unkempt grass and the weeds that needed to be plucked. She saw the empty swing sets he installed for their children. She saw her grandchildren playing gleefully on the driveway.

She then saw him. After making her wait for so long. He stood in those same clothes he wore that day. The day they first met.

He came back to finally keep his word after breaking it for three years.

He came back for her.

He came to take her home, for he knew that her home was in his heart.

They looked down again at their home, the home he built for her with his own two hands, the lawn she kept in shape all her life, their grandchildren enjoying the simple pleasures of uncomplicated childhood and said goodbye.

She was waiting for him for so long after all.

......................

That's how they found her. On the porch, with the ghost of a smile on her face, in the best clothes she had.

Her son said she looked prepared to go on a Valentine's date with Death.

But the truth is far from that, she was all decked up for her husband, the only man for her.

Her only Valentine, reunited with him in mind, soul and spirit.