Part 1

I duck into my car quickly, careful not to draw any attention from the man about to kill me. He had been following me for twenty something minutes, and I knew why. Reading minds often attracts people. And he was after me. I started the engine and eased myself out of the parking lot of the library. I was supposed to get to the SHIELD headquarters to interrogate James Buchanan Barnes, a HYDRA victim who had just been captured. The man behind me, Baron Zemo, was going to kill me and do my job. Well, not do my job, but interrogate Barnes. He was too far away for me to hear the rest of his plan. I was careful to take a complicated route to throw him off. After I was sure I was safe, I called Tony Stark.

"Hello?"

"Hi. This is Abby Esther. I was told I had a job involving a certain HYDRA victim. But I've got a guy following me. Baron Zemo. He wants Barnes."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"My name is Abby Esther. I am assigned to interrogate James Buchanan Barnes. But I've got some psycho trying to kill me to get to him. So, just don't let him in please."

I hung up as I pulled up to the building. After making my way through security, and getting Zemo's name out there, I walked in and found the Avengers. I stopped and soaked in their thoughts.

Bucky better be okay.

Zemo? What's happening?
They need to get answers out of him.

"Hi guys. Where's the soldier?"

Everyone's heads snap towards me, and I smile.

"Who are you?" Steve Rogers asks as he walks towards me. I look around his wide frame to see Tony.

"You really didn't say anything? Well, I'm here to interrogate that soldier you have. I can read and control minds."

Just as everyone was about to interrogate me, an agent walked past.

I really hate my job. Wish I was a baker...

"Miss Esther, please follow me."
I gave a little wave to the group as I'm led through a few hallways. I get to the room Barnes is being held in, and I prepare myself for his thoughts. He's in some sort of cage, his arms and legs in metal restraints. Before the agent could close the door behind me, I turn around.

"What the hell is this?"
"What?"
"The cage? The restraints? He's not some animal!"

"Ma'am, he's in there for the safety of you and others. There's nothing we can do."
"Alright, take your bullshit and go."

The agent scampers off, and I turn to face the man in the metal cage.

"Sorry about that. I like talking to people when they aren't retrained. But, I guess we'll just have to stick to this. Hey, look at me please. I want to do my job in an enjoyable manner."
I killed people. I'm a monster. I'm a lab experiment. I'm stuck.

I sucked in a breath. He was hurt. And I needed to help him.

A/N

Hello! This is my first story, I hop you enjoy! This chapter is a bit short, but they get longer later on. I will update with a new part every day.