Chapter 1 - Introduction

AC: umigraphics on Patreon

----

It's been 3 months into 2021 and Maria and her family are still religiously quarantining in fear of contracting the deadly covid virus. After all, living with high-risk grandparents is a valid reason for the fear. Maria lives with her big family of 10 in a small 2 bedroom apartment. She is 19, 4'9", has warm brown eyes, dark wavy long hair, and a curvy build. Growing up, Maria had a tough time feeling confident in herself and her abilities especially since she's the eldest sibling and her whole family is counting on her to fix their financial situation. Maria has always tried her best to be at the top of her class and is preparing to become a nun to appease her religious family. Moreover, Maria believed herself to be "ugly" and always wanted to experiment with makeup which was very difficult for her to do so with their low income and living situation (she shared her bedroom with her four noisy siblings).

----

It was a normal day of dreadful online school and Maria couldn't wait for this whole covid arc in her life to be over. She has graduated from high school but still hasn't set foot on her new college campus. She leaves the Zoom meeting and exhaustedly falls back on her chair. "Ahh, now I need to go to church and recite the Bible verses I was assigned to memorize yesterday," she groans. Maria dresses herself up modestly and it wasn't long until her mother and aunt were shouting at her to go to church. "Ugh here they go again forcing their wishes onto me. Maybe I should just marry rich and forget about all this school stuff and everyone," Maria mumbled. Maria puts her mask on and quickly exits the apartment before anyone has a chance to interact with her again.

----Time Skip To A Few Hours Later----

Maria returns from church and it's now evening. She feels unusually tired and feverish when she returns, but she ignores it. She joins her family at the dinner table to eat dinner and is flabbergasted when she realizes she can't taste the deliciously seasoned empanadas her mother cooked. Her annoying 12-year-old sister, Jane, notices Maria's confoundment and asks, "Maria you usually eat so fast you big pig. What's up? Did covid get you yet you snickerdoodle cockroach?" Maria panics and rightfully so. She is displaying symptoms of the virus. Her family's facial expressions change and they all simultaneously yell at her, but all Maria picks up are the phrases "biggest disappointment", "you should've never been born", "get rekked", "might as well kill us all", etc. Maria was already so tired, and the addition of 9 loud voices only tired her and angered her more. Her bottled-up negative emotions were let loose and she yells back, "This is what I get for being religious? This is my reward for going to church huh?! Is this what I deserve?! I'm sick of this family and everyone. I wish someone was there to truly understand me and care for me. All I feel is used." With that bold response, Maria runs to her room and locks the door.

----Time Skip to 10 AM The Next Day---

Maria wakes up to the sun rays burning her caramel skin and her stomach rumbling. She hears a knock on the door and last night's events come rushing to her. "God, why did I act so dramatically last night? It was my fault after all it's not like they told me to get covid. Bruh why did I act like such a wannabe main character. I am pathetic," Maria thought to herself. Maria rushes to open the door and finds a lunchbox on the floor. Her uncle that's 6 feet away says, "Get ready you're going to the clinic right now with all of us. We're all getting vaccinated kid," and leaves. Maria takes the food, gobbles the tasteless food down, and dresses herself up. She exits the room and finds all 9 family members dressed and ready to finally get vaccinated.