Not Valentine's Day again

Valentine's Day was seriously a stupid holiday. Just one made up by corporations to sell roses and chocolates. Elizabeth couldn't stand it.

It was easy to get laid on Valentine's Day, easy food, she had to give it that. But that was only because all these weaklings bought into the manufactured "magic" of this brainless holiday. Well not Elizabeth.

"Well, Valentine's Day is coming up," Ramona smiled at her and reached for her hand across the table they were sitting at in the lounge of the hotel at the beginning of February. She took her hand into her own, bringing it up to her lips to press a kiss to her knuckles. "Will you be my valentine?" she asked with a voice soft like butter and a smile so sweet Elizabeth was about to melt away. Fuck.

"Of course, I will, baby," Elizabeth promised her with a nod and leaned in to kiss her lips softly, forcing a smile.

Elizabeth hadn't had a real valentine in years. Or maybe ever. And she had been happy that way. She didn't need one. Some good sex and blood was enough. Or so she thought.

But now that her and Ramona had been dating for a bit over half a year, suddenly she was actually in love on Valentine's Day. Gross.

And she was going to do everything in her power to make it perfect for Ramona.

It wasn't hard to tell that, in contrast to Elizabeth, Ramona loved Valentine's Day. She got so excited at all the displays of hearts and roses and teddy bears that they saw in every window when they walked down the streets (hand in hand whenever they felt safe from harassment). And as much as the displays themselves made Elizabeth want to die inside, Ramona's excitement made her feel all warm instead.

So the next day, when Ramona was busy elsewhere, she was the first on the doorstep of the store at opening time, to cop that big teddy bear holding the heart in his paws that said "I love you".

She hid it in the children's play room, which she knew Ramona rarely visited because watching her children having their blood drawn actually did make her a bit uncomfortable.

Later that day, she took Ramona to a butterfly garden, paying special attention to which flowers made her face light up the most. Plain roses were boring to Elizabeth, so impersonal. She wanted Ramona to have flowers that she loved.

It was hard to find a restaurant in LA that wasn't completely booked out yet and she didn't want to go to any place that was low-class. It had to be the best of the best for her girlfriend but Ramona could tell that Elizabeth was stressing over where they were going to eat a bit too much.

"Are you okay, baby?" she asked sincerely after Elizabeth put down another phone call with a booked out restaurant. Elizabeth hadn't told her about the restaurant trouble but Ramona knew.

"Yes, don't worry about it. Everything's gonna be amazing," Elizabeth assured her.

"I know it is, baby," Ramona nodded and stroked her hand in a comforting matter.

When the day finally arrived, Elizabeth woke up early, slipping out of the bed, hopeful that Ramona wouldn't wake up until she was back.

She picked up a beautiful bouquet full of roses, lilies, lavender and orchids from the florist and brought them up to her penthouse. After putting them in a vase on the coffee table, she grabbed the big teddy bear and positioned it next to the bed, before slipping right back into it to kiss Ramona's nose.

Ramona woke up from her touch, opening her eyes slowly, her lips forming a smile when she saw Elizabeth's face above her. "Good morning," she rasped, before letting out a yawn and curling her arms around her girlfriend's waist. "Happy Valentine's Day," she greeted her with a smirk and pressed a kiss to her lips.