Chapter One

Valentine's Day : Only one a year, make it memorable by joining us at the Annual Valentine's Day Formal!  

When: February 12

Where: The gymnasium

 I rolled my eyes as I ripped another one the stupid dance flyers down.

"Kay, did you hear-" Lacey managed to get out before I cut her off.

"Yes, I heard okay! I heard about the stupid dance, and before you ask, yes, I know Valentine's day is this Friday." My voice was loud and strangled by the time finished my rant.

I felt bad and the look of hurt that swept across Lacey's face did nothing to help that feeling. Lacey had been my best friend since the fourth grade. I met her at Kadie Mae's Elementary school, we were both in Mr. Brate's class.  Mark Glasener Pulled her pig tails and I kicked him in the jewels. My mom always told me "you need to stand up for people who wont do it themselves". I guess mom should be proud, I listened to her once in my life.

"Lace, I'm sorry, you know how I feel about Valentine's Day." I tried to apologize while getting my History textbook out of my locker.

"Yeah Kay, I know, i have a plan though... by the dance you will LOVE Valentine's Day." I turned my head to look at her, the grin on her face and her thumbs flying across her phone's keyboard, was enough to make me uneasy.

Lacey has extremely high social ground, she has ability to organize a whole birthday party, complete with a 45 person guest list in under 14 minutes. Seriously, she did for her sister, Lyla's, suprise party. And she made me time her. My social rankings are at the very bottom of the latter, like it in the grass before you even step on the latter.

"God, Lacey, what are you doing?" I asked her. She didn't even look up, as I tried to lunge for her phone. She side stepped me and I landed into a brick wall of gorgeous.

"I... Umm... I'm.... Uhhh Collin Matthews, I'm super sorry." Mentally curing myself, I released my grip on him I had to keep from falling.

"Hey... Kaylynn, right?" Collin asked his green eyes piercing me.

"Yes, that's it." I stammered.

"Well, maybe, you could, you know, watch where your going?" He said slowly asking me, like I was stupid, and to him I probably was.

"Absolutely sir, I mean.... Collin." Of course my stuttering was going to work back up while I was talking to him.

Lacey's head snapped up from her phone at the sound of Collin's name. Collin turned toward m best friend and said smoothly, "Lacey, you wanna go with me to the dance Friday?" He finished it off with a lopsided grin that had made many other girls swoon.

Little did he know she had a grin of her own that made guys melt to the floor. Of course she flashed it to him and replied, "You know, I would but, I got this new software and it's called I don't talk to guys who bash my friends." And then as an afterthought, she added, "Especially not my best friend." Then she did something crazy: she slapped him.