Meeting new people and the Little Mermaid

I had just moved to Tokyo Japan. I was an exchange student from the states in college with hopes of mastering the Japanese language but had came across my fair share of obstacles, the biggest one being finding friends. Of course everyone was friendly and was willing to help me but finding people you can connect with when there is a slight language barrier prooved to be more than difficult. Luckily for me the school held small events anyone could sign up for. sometimes they were outdoor projects like clean up, or bike riding, and other times they were indoor spots or like tonight just a pajama, Disney movie night. Luckily for me this was an event mainly for foreign students so hopefully I could find someone I could talk to, or at least understood my struggles.

I walked down there wearing my grey mineral washed, jogger sweats with a black hoodie. I carried with me just a small pink pillow and blanket. when I arrived at the classroom that the event was being held a nervous feeling began to over come me. If I don't make friends now I dont think Ill be able to all year' I said to myself in my head 'I cant make myself look like an idiot, just act natural and don't over think things' after that I opened the door and walked in. The room was pretty crowded with different college students in their pajamas. They were all talking amongst their own groups while waiting on the movie to start.

I quickly began to look around for anyone I might know. When I failed to see anyone the nervous feeling began to grow. I shut the door and started to walk around the edge of the classroom still looking

"Raven!" someone yelled

I turned to look for the source of the voice when I saw Akari. She was in my math class and was the only person I had come to sorta consider a friend.

She was sitting next to a large group of kids and was eagerly waving for me to join them. I smiled and started walking over to them.

They scooted over so that I could lay next to them and we all started to have small talk but pretty soon they started laughing at something I didn't understand and I was left to sit there awkwardly. This happened a lot.

This is when I started to look around the room.

Everyone seemed to have found their own groups that they belonged in. I began to feel more and more like an outsider than I already felt, but that's when my eyes wandered to a rather hysterical sight.

In a group of mainly guys, sitting not far infront of me was a boy, about my age, laying down on his chest, flailing around saying "I'm the little mermaid I'm the little Mermaid"

I laughed at myself. Even if I was a loner at least I wasn't embarrassing myself like that right?

He started laughing with his friends, or rather laughing with them while they laughed at him, and they all kept talking. Without even realizing it I began staring, perhaps it was because I had nothing better to do or perhaps it was because I couldn't deny that he was the cutest guy I'd seen at the school. He was wearing a button down light colored pajama top with matching bottoms. He had plump pink lips and a chizzled jaw line. His hair was a dark brown and cut short on the sides but longer on top and was stylishly combed forward. When he smiled his eyes became adorable crescent moons on his face. I guess he had when I'd heard girls here call "eye smile"? Whatever you called it it was cute and I liked it.

I kept observing to myself when suddenly he realized and stared back. I jumped slightly and looked away down at my phone. I tried to play it off that I was on my phone and was just looking around, but it's debatable how well it worked.

After a moment or two I looked back at him to see if he was still looking and luckily he wasn't. He had laid down on his chest once again, only this time facing the front with his butt towards me.