Chapter 1

Fear. One word, one syllable. Simple as that. The feeling you get when you know something just isn't right. When the butterflies in your stomach swarm faster than usual. When you feel like anything could happen.

And it then, it does. The tip of the iceberg. The climax in your favorite horror movie. The moment your eyes widen.

Fear is a common word in my vocabulary nowadays. It's been used in different terms too. But I never really comprehended what fear was until one night.

It was a regular Sunday night. Chilling at home with the family, watching a film. Then our 'bedtime' roles around and we all hit the hay. Simple as that. But the thing was, it actually wasn't.

I was woken to a thud from downstairs. I figured maybe it was the washing machine or my parents were still up. What could possibly be going on down there?

I tried not to over think it and let it slide. But no, another bu-bum sounded my eardrums. I sat up strait in my bed, contemplating whether or not I should go check it out. But another noise answered for me.

The sound of a gunshot sounded through the house. And I thought then and there that this is what fear felt like. But it wasn't. Worser things were about to come.

I gulped, wondering what I was ever going to do. I heard footsteps cham on the stairs getting louder and louder. I rolled off my bed and went under it, grabbing my phone dialing 911. I didn't even have time to process what was happening.

Who was this person? Why are they here? How long have they been here? Is there more than one person? More importantly, who was the gunshot fired at.

I didn't let my mind wander any more at the thought. My heart stopped when the line picked up.

"Hello, 911 what's your emergency?" A lady who sounded like a typical 911 answerer sounded through the phone. I imagined her as a small petite brunette, who spent her days lashed behind a phone and a computer screen, waiting for a call to come in.

"I, I just heard a gunshot in my house." I whispered. I don't know why I did, but I felt the need to.

"Okay." She said calmly. She must be great at her job. "We are tracing your address now. Would you like me to stay on the ph-"

My door opened.

I ended the call on my phone, as I stayed perched under my bed. Footsteps slowly circled around my bed as if it knew I was there, and it was taunting me. I stayed like this, eyes clenched shut hearing the light footsteps patter around. Even though they sounded so soft, it sounded louder than a grenade every time it hit the floor.

I thought that person had left my room due to the sound fading off. I questioned whether or not I should get out. I was answered when I felt a hand tug at my leg, yanking me out from under the bed.

I was slammed into the wall, eyes still shut. I didn't want to have to face what was ahead. I was pinned, I'm pretty sure my nose was bleeding.

I felt a hand reach up to my chin, turning my face to whoever was holding me.

"Look at me." Sound filled the room. Even though my eyes were closed tight, a tear escaped.

"I said, look at me." It was a man, I'm pretty sure. His voice had an accent to it.

He put both hands on the side of my face, gnawing my eyes open. I gave into his strength and opened my eyes meeting his. He looked like a wicked, wicked, human being. His green eyes stared into my soul.

I felt fear.