Wattpad's Next Rising Star (Contest Book)

A/N: Hi! This is my one-shot for the Wattpad's Next Rising Star contest. I hope you like it :)

“….and your beautiful smile, it makes my heart skip a-”

“Would you quit it?” I hissed. I glared at the idiotic (albeit handsome) guy in front of me. I was giving him one of my best shut-up-now-or-you’ll-regret-it glares, but he seemed far from intimidated. In fact, his grin grew even wider. I didn’t even know that was possible.

“Quit what, love?” he asked me, the very picture of innocence.

I took a deep breath to calm myself, and started in a (hopefully) calm voice. “Your flirting. I don’t know why you can’t just accept the fact that I am not going to go out with you. You are an arrogant, big- headed jerk and I HATE you! Go use your charm on some other girl, because it is not going to work on me!” My voice seemed to be getting louder with each word, until I was full- out yelling at him.

His grin faltered, and I thought I saw a flash of hurt in his eyes. No, that couldn’t be possible. I must have just imagined it. I mean, why would he be hurt? It’s not like he really liked me or anything. It was just a pretense, to win that stupid bet.

“Why do you hate me so much?” he asked me softly.

“Because,” I said, simply.

“Will you please give me a straight answer for once in your life?” I was taken aback by the anger in his voice. Sure, I’d seen him angry before. But, that anger had never been directed towards me.

“Why does it even matter to you? I mean, it’s not like you care or anything. You just want me to go on a date with you so that you can win that stupid bet!” I said. I hope I didn’t sound as hurt as I felt.

He just looked confused. “Bet? What bet are you talking about?”

I scoffed. “Oh please, Sam, drop the act now.”

“Mia, I really don’t know what you’re talking about, love,” he said, his brows furrowed in an adorable way.

Wait- WHAT? Did I just say adorable? What’s wrong with me?! No, not adorable. Not adorable at all. Disgusting, vomit- inducing, ugly, horrible...

“Um, Mia?” Sam’s voice snapped me out of my internal monologue.

I just grunted half- heartedly in response.

“Mia, love, I don’t know what bet you are talking about, but please, trust me, I really do love you,” he said, his voice soft and gentle. He said it with so much sincerity, that I almost believed him. Almost.

“Go die, Sam,” I mumbled, and turned away from him. I started walking off, leaving him standing alone on the street.

I placed my hand on the wall, to stop myself from collapsing on the ground. I felt my entire body shaking. It couldn’t be possible. It just couldn’t be possible.

“Wh-what did y-you s-say?” I asked the doctor. I was stuttering so badly, I wasn’t even sure if he understood what I was saying.

He looked at me with pity in his eyes. “It was an accident, Ms. Evans. His car collided with a truck. He had already lost a lot of blood by the time they got him here. We tried our best but, he had received a severe blow to his head…and there was nothing we could do. I am terribly sorry for your loss.”

I couldn’t speak. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t think straight. He died. How could he just- just die? He couldn’t be gone. No, I refuse to believe this. This has to be some sick, twisted, cruel joke…HE CAN’T JUST LEAVE ME LIKE THIS!

“Your number was the last dialed on his phone, so we called you. Please inform his family,” the doctor (whose name I hadn't bothered to find out) said.

I nodded feebly. I was still in too much of a shock to speak. I felt my knees give out from beneath me and fell to the floor with a thud. I was filled with a sudden realization- the last words I had said to him were “Go die, Sam”. Those were the last words I had said to him…..I had told him to go die. And he had done exactly that.

And then, before I knew it, I was crying. Not just crying, I was howling and sobbing uncontrollably. I loved him. I had always loved Sam. I had tried to keep him away from me because I knew he didn’t feel the same way. He told me otherwise, but I knew it was all just a joke to him. I knew he would break my heart.

But now, I was filled with so much guilt and regret, it was unimaginable. The pain in my heart right now was worse than any pain he could have ever inflicted on me. Why hadn’t I told him I loved him? Why had I been so cruel to him? Why?! I wish nothing more than to just take back all the mean things I had ever said to him. I wish to go back in time and tell him how much he had meant to me. I wish I hadn’t left him alone. I wish I hadn’t walked away. I wish he hadn’t left me.

I love you, Sam.