-Introduction-

- Thursday, 26 March 2020, 7:30 am-

The morning sun shone through their windows as I woke up from the sound of the alarm ringing. I hit the snooze button and contemplated calling in sick for the day but ultimately decided to get ready for school. I gathered up all the motivation they had and headed to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, took a shower, and headed downstairs for breakfast.

A faint sound coming from the morning news can be heard from the living room. The aura in the living room was gloomier than usual. My mother was preparing breakfast, the sizzling of the hot pan was audible in the background.

"Breakfast is ready!"

I hear my mother call out from the kitchen. As I head towards the prepared dining table, I see my mother's face. She is smiling as usual but something feels off, it wasn't genuine. I then looked over to my father on the other side of the table. He is reading his newspaper, it seems obvious that he is avoiding eye contact. I suspected that something was wrong or that they were keeping a secret from me.

We ate breakfast in complete silence. The awkward ambiance was almost unbearable for our family who normally is cheerful. This stuffy quietness was then interrupted by the sound of the news announcement.

" A student from Cypress School, found dead in the school's computer lab, last night. The victim, Bryn Pearson, was suspected to have passed due to murder by a hit to the head with a metal rod that was found next to the body. The murderer was never found as the murder was suspected to take place during the city-wide blackout that happened yesterday. As for the...."

My eyes widen from disbelief and I dropped the fork I was holding onto. "Please tell me it wasn't you!" My mother screamed in distress as she pulled my collar. My father seemed speechless and watched my mother throw a temper tantrum this early in the morning. I was horrified at the moment, I could manage to say a word.

"You left school late yesterday! Tell me it wasn't you!" I can still hear the faint sounds of my mother's screams but my brain seemed to have decided to blur it out. My head was empty and my body felt lifeless as my mother was trying to shake the answers out of me. I couldn't think straight. I picked up my bag from the chair next to me and headed for the door. I could hear my mother screaming telling me to come back and answer her, but she didn't dash out the door I'm assuming that my father was holding her back. Without any more thoughts, I gathered my composure and left for school. I can already tell that today is going to be full of surprises-