Kissing Boy Next Door

This book is a work of fiction. Any reference or similarities to events, people and places are used fictitiously. Names, characters, places and any resemblance to actual event or person is coincidental.

Copyright © Jennifer Clark.

All Right Reserved.

___

I don't remember my father's face clearly ever since he left me and my mom when I was five. I didn't know where he is now or is he still alive in this world. Mom has never mention dad anymore and I don't ask questions but deep down I want to know him and why.

Mom got offered a new job in a small town. She bought a new house and we are moving in today. I don't feel exited at all because we are changing our homes again and no doubt, this will not be the last. I just know that.

"Alyssa, did you put all your stuff in the truck? We are moving soon." Mom said to me, putting all her stuff into the old red Range Rover which belongs to my dad. The truck that he left us and the only thing mom kept. She burned all dad's stuff. Including mine and dad's piano. I haven't played it ever since.

I put my last box filled with old pictures of my friends and family but there's none of a picture of dad. I guess it got all burned away by mom. I don't blame her, she's a depressed woman. She work day and night twenty-four-seven to keep both of us alive and I appreciate that. We are not poor, but we definitely are not rich. We are just average and dad left us a lot of money. Another stuff from dad mom didn't burn.

"That's the last box. I'm done." For now. I said to mom, forcing a smile. I know mom does it too.

Mom said something nice to me and we got in the truck. She drive us all the way a small town call Stokes. She turn on the radio and Locked out of Heaven is blasting loudly on the radio. The reception here is poor and it's not clear.

"It's going to be so great, darling. Starting all over again for a better life." Mom said. She put one hand on my hand while her other hand is gripping tightly on the steering wheel, driving. That means she didn't meant it.

I doubt that, too, Mom. I thought. It's better to not always change places.

"And, of course tomorrow is your first day of your new school and I am deadly excited for you. I feel like wanna be in high school all over again. Your new school is Stokes High, its one of the best school at Stokes, you know and...." She keeps on talking about my new school tomorrow excitedly as if she is the one who is going to attend tomorrow.

New school. Starting over. Making new friends. Being bullied. I don't feel excited at all. I didn't tell those words to mom so that I don't hurt her feelings. I didn't want to tell mom to shut up so I let her talk. I lay my head on my hand and close my eyes.

I open my eyes. I am still in the truck and it is dark outside. How long have I been sleeping? Did mom talked to herself all the way here?

"You're finally awake. Here's dinner." She gave me the fried chicken she packed at our ex home. I eat it slowly.

I say, "Are we there yet?" and glace at my watch. It's eight twenty at night.

Mom smiles. "We are in Stokes but not our new home, yet."

I say something nice, trying to be excited and everything but actually I am not. I put a huge fake smile on my lips. I look outside. Stokes isn't as country style as I thought it is but its rather dull. It's drizzling outside and I put my hand on the window, its quite cold. So, Stokes is a rather dull and rainy place, I can tell.