Magdalen Su'a

Magdalen Su'a

"But Mum! The term break then isn't even that long. You're going to cut into school time." 

"And since when have you ever cared about that?" Mum says looking up from her work. I actually don't care at all that I'll be missing school however; I need to have the upper hand in this situation. New York with my Mother during one of the busiest and most stressful moments in her career is not exactly my idea of a great holiday. "I know you'll love it. There's so much to do. And If you don't like it you can always spend the rest of the time with your father." Mum says with a sour face.

Mum's really putting on such a charade. "Mum. Dad won't be in America, he said he's going back to visit his Obaasan" I say with my arms crossed. "Well your Father is full of surprises so we'll see if he follows through to go and see his grandmother, after all he rarely keeps his promises." she says with a huff. I don't understand how my Mum does it so easily, she just loves talking about how much she hates my Dad. "I thought you were trying to convince me about coming to New York with you. Not convince me about how unreasonable you are."

"Well actually I've decided that you must come. Not for any sort of educational opportunity but because I say so." Mum says with a little smirk on her face, satisfied with this little bit of parenting unreasonable parenting she's just achieved. "Ok then" my face is completely expressionless. Maybe that will help me win this argument.

"Ok then" Mum sounds quite triumphant there. She's definitely not changing her mind. What even is the point in fighting with my mother when I know for a fact that it won't go down well. I trudge off to my room, shutting the door.

"Riah, I need your help. Mum's trying to force with me to go with her on her work trip" I groan as I plop down on my bed, keeping my phone stuck to my ear. "Sorry are you trying to complain to me about how your Mother is taking you to New York Fashion Week? Please stop with this humble brag you have. It's quite pretentious." She says chuckling

"Azariah! You're a Genius! I'll force Mum to let you come!" I say jumping up from my bed rushing down the hallway. "Did the fact that I have strict parents slip your mind?" Azariah sighs through the phone. "Very good point. I guess I'll just bring you back something very American that reeks of capitalism?"

"Or maybe just some free stuff from all the shows you'll get to go to."

"Yeah that sounds good too. And that way I save money cause it was free" A smirk creeping up my lips. "Take back what I said. You are no where near enough to be even considered pretentious. You're actually quite cheap." I scoff at Azariah's comment. "Me? Cheap? Wow."

"Now so we'll be staying for about three weeks at a hotel in Soho. I don't mind if you don't want to come with me to all of my friends shows but I do expect you to be at least backstage for one of mine. If you befriend any of the Parsons or F.I.T students then you might as well help them out..." God Mum could ramble on forever and forever. I love her to bits but she's really a bit too much of a people person. "Mum do you want me to wear one of your pieces all the time when we're out?"

"well I don't mind actually, but it would be great if you did" Mum says eating another spoonful of the takeaways.

"I might just pack the whole of my special collection then." I say while chewing on some Pork Katsu.

When I was younger my Mum actually took the time to design a whole ready to wear collection for me when I was older. She studied fashion analytics for a couple of months just so she could come up with what was in style right now.  The funniest thing about it is that the whole collection is almost spot on to things I would wear right now. "I adore when you wear them, they suit you so much." After I finish cleaning up from dinner I start to plan what I want to pack for the trip. I begin to pull out random items left, right and center. All I seem to be left with is a heap of clothing on my floor.

Its past two am.

I practically pass out the second I climb into bed.

"MAGDALEN GRACE PELE LAGIĀ SU'A."

I jolt upright in my bed, trying to seem half awake. "Yes..."

"Why aren't you out of bed? And why aren't you packed?"

"That's a future me problem Mum. We don't  leave for another few days so it doesn't even matter."

"well tell your 'future me' that your beautiful, sexy, amazing Mother decided to move our flight to tomorrow as your Mum need more time to prepare in New York." Mum says leaning on my door way. I look to my left and glance at my clock once. It's 1 in the afternoon. Leaping out of bed I begin to sift through my pile of clothes, trying my best to assemble new outfits. "What time?"

"Noon" Mum's wondering around my room touching little bits and bobs. I stop rummaging through my closet. "Than why do I need to rush?"

"Well because as far as I can see you haven't really packed anything. You've only really created a mess."

"But mess means progress. It's the beginning of my thinking process."

"You definitely got that from me." Mum smiles as she walks away.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we are about to touch down in New York. Please make sure your seatbelts are fastened and your tray tables" Looking out the window we're flying over skyscrapers and bright city lights. There really isn't anything Heathrow about it. It's blindingly bright all over the place. It's not quite as classic or aa well preserved as London is. All the buildings look brand new. Guess they aren't big on keeping the city very historical.

I'm shaken out of my haze as we experience a bit of turbulence.

We touch down a few minutes later.

Stepping off the plane is such a relief. I did my fair share of binge watching on the plane. Putting on this murder mystery starring an actor around my age, Orpheus Green. If I'm being completely honest it wasn't that great.

A/N

Uhhh so this was a bit of a trial thingy so tbh idk if im gonna keep this up haha. I'm excited to see where this might go (:

also I took down some of the other chapters because I was unhappy with the way they were written

don't forget vote 

- coli