Prologue

I was sprinting like hell, fueled by adrenaline and cortisol.

I had just downed a night's worth of coffee. I could feel its glorious life-giving productivity-enhancing effects take hold as my fingers began pounding out essays at a breakneck pace.
But, as I hit save, a wave of fear rushed over me like a scratchy blanket.

I thought to myself

What was that behind me?

It was 7:02 in the night when I saw something creeping up behind me. I just barely saw it in the reflection of the mirror. Despite that, I continued to work to finish the few modules I had left.

Five minutes later, I saw it in the corner of my eye. A dark accumulating silhouette creeping up behind my chair. Just when I turned around to see it, there was nothing. Only a puff of black smoke left where it stood. Then, I felt another mass upon me. It was my bladder, telling me that it was time to take a leak.

But, there was someone, something, telling me not to open that door and instead finish my remaining work. It was the fifth English module I was doing, and I was stuck on an essay question. The question was about your biggest fear. Easy, it was monsters, anything I can't see, anything that can kill me at any time and anywhere.

All this talk about monsters has got me a little scared myself. I still have to pee, and I have to go now. I finally take the plunge and get up from the table and chair, taking the blanket off my lap and turning the adjacent electric fan off.

I steal a glance at the mirror again, and the silhouette has finally left my room, and a sigh of relief leaves my lungs. At first, I hesitate, but I grab the doorknob and carefully twist the metal handle, all while keeping an eye on the mirror and listening to any sounds that may resemble an aswang.

It is a traditional Filipino shape-shifting evil creature in Filipino folklore, such as vampires, ghouls, witches, viscera suckers, and everything under the moon. As I twist the handle, I hear the quiet creaking sounds of the mechanism. And pull the door back along with closing it behind me as quickly as possible.

I do a quick look around the corridor, with the slanted shadow on my body cast by the half-closed door of the next room.

Someone, something is here with me.