Teaser for what is to Come

————————————————————————

I'm always with you.
Even when you can't see me,
I'm here.
         —Bambi

————————————————————————

——————————————————————————————————

——————————

The night sky looked so peaceful from the forest floor. The moon curved a loose lipped smile as the breeze played candidly with my hair. I blushed a fine cherry red as the stars winked down at me. A memory resurfaced of a past time, not too long ago, where the twinkling lights told me secrets far too vulgar to speak out loud. Now every time they shown down at me my mind couldn't help but to travel back to that very conversation giving way for a wanton heat to grace my cheeks.

A heavy puff of air left my lungs in exasperation. It trailed and twirled with the chilled air forming a creamy fog before resolving into the night. It was mesmerizing. My mind spurred to life with the intent of reciprocating the action as much as humanly possible. Giggle after giggle left my lips as I became simply enamored with the simplest of mundane activities.

Twigs and leaves tangled in my hair—most likely matting it, but I paid it no mind. Nights of solace were hard to find these days. So the few nights I can find peace, I make sure treasure them.

Most days the flashbacks take over, and I freeze, stuck in a snare forced to watch their death unfold for the billionth time. I know there is nothing I can do, but every time the world goes hazy my mind panics, going into overdrive, searching for a solution to beat the tricks it far too often plays on itself.

The gentle pat of the breeze softens me out of this dreaded thought trail, patting me awake with delicate gushes of wind. A mouthed "thank you" left my lips in gratitude. The wind pushed once more before vanishing into the starry night. Shrubs and bristles shifted towards me as I repositioned myself for the night. Tiny yellow flowers spurted from the ground at the sudden action. They stood strong in attention despite their miniature height. The small buds loomed over me in a protective stance guarding me from the night terrors that lurk around the awaiting bends.

With a giggle I shook my head in playful exasperation. Those silly little flowers! Always prepared for battle—even when the night couldn't be more peaceful and quiet.

"Aww thankies so much lil' babies, but you don't need to get too riled up! 'M just getting comfy to go to sleep."

Had I of only known what truly lurks behind the beauty of the twinkling stars I might have just known better, but then again, it's hard to tell, and regardless, I'm most certain it still would have ended all the same. Fate is but a tightened string—no room for slacking and no possibility of a different outcome unless it be a sickening snap.