Undercover

"Uh, you're gonna have to explain, cause that sounds kinda crazy," Hawks says, allowing only a little confusion show. He knew they're his 'superiors' but doing something like this? "Wouldn't I be better suited for search like Gran Torino and the others?"

"Where did you hear about that?" The man asked. The man in question was staring out the window, a stoic look on his face. He was always stricter president of the commission. He covered his mouth quickly, annoyed that he let that info slip. Well, he wasn't aware he wasn't supposed to know. The hero commission always hid things from everyone, especially him.

"We need your assistance," the woman standing in front of the man's desk, the president, said. "It's final Hawks. You've already proven how sharp your eyes and ears are."

"After Kimino, and the kidnapping, and attacks," the vice president said. "We've misread their strength. We rushed in at Kamino and didn't gather enough intel. Especially about those biologically engineered humans." Yeah they rushed in, but what else were they supposed to do? A kid had been kidnapped by the League, they did the best they could to get him out.

"That's where you come in. You are to infiltrate the league and find out how they get their information and what their movements are."

"And why am I the one chosen for this?" Hawks asked, keeping his tone as neutral as possible. The fact of the matter was, Hawks was already fairly sure what the reason was. Just a question of whether they'll actually say it or not. "You really want me to sit back and ignore what they're doing?"

"Well, as the youngest hero and the name you've made for yourself," the president said. "You're the only one who can."

"You're indifferent to prestige and fame, and you're focused more on your own durability," the vice president said. "We think there is no one more suitable than you." Hawks couldn't help but glare, especially since they weren't saying the real reason.

"Is this absolutely necessary?" I ask.

"Think of it like this," the president states. "By going after them from the inside and outside, we can cut off their retreat and box them in."

"And you're asking me because I have absolutely no way of refusing you, is that right?"

"I won't try to deny you, you're not wrong there. We got lucky you weren't able to make it to the fight in Kamino." It was silent as Hawks thought for a moment. Thought about how they never mentioned the safety of the kid or the civilians. How much damage it caused. No, it was always about the bigger picture, stopping the villains.

Still, this was a necessary evil. He guessed.

"A secret investigation into the league," I say as I bow. "If getting my hands dirty will help everyone sleep better at night, I'll gladly take on the challenge." Even though he practically had no choice.

"Thank you, Hawks."

"Now, is that all? I got patrol in a few minutes." He really didn't want to be here longer than he had to.

"Ye-"

"No," the vice president interrupted her. "I want to give you one piece of advice."

"Ok, lay it on me," I sigh. Probably trying to tell me to not go to fast or let something slip or-

"Don't get in too deep."

Not what he expected.

"What the hell does that mean?" He glared at Hawks, likely at his use of language. The hero found he didn't care.

"It means that you need to remember that these people are cold and calculating. They don't care for anyone's well-being but their own."

"Obviously. What do you think I am?"

"He's just saying it as a precaution," the president said, trying to defuse the rising tension. "We've lost many people that way."

"Whatever." Hawks huffed, ruffled his feathers and turned to leave the room and the building. They didn't dismiss him, but he couldn't stand to be in there anymore. However, he left a single feather in the doorway to listen to what they said once he left. Hawks wanted to confirm his suspicions about why they chose him. After all, there were plenty of qualified heroes that didn't make it to Kamino.

"Are you sure about this?" the vice president asked.

"The risk for him turning is as much as anyone else," the president replied. "His parentage means nothing."

"It means everything! Like father, like son."

"That is a mostly unfair statement. He has always shown that he's willing to save civilians, even at five years old."

"I'm just saying that we need to be careful with him."

Hawks couldn't take it anymore and called the feather back. Like he would forget what they've done and all the people they've hurt. Like he would become a villain. Like he would be his father.

Hawks shook his head and settled his wings, wondering just how he would go about getting in the league anyway. Probably should've stayed and asked them. Didn't matter.

He'd figure it out on his own, like always.