1

{Gaven}

"Gaven, I want to introduce you to my girlfriend, Amber."

Who knew that my life would turn around completely after that?

And it isn't Amber, no. She's sweet and pretty and such a great girlfriend for my boy Thomas.

I'm really glad he has her. He hasn't had many girlfriends on account that none of us really likes to talk to new people.

Especially girls.

"Marcus, I want to introduce you to my best friend, Myra."

That is when I started to get nervous.

Myra Davenport is....well, I don't really know how to explain it.

She's loud and bold and basically everything that the rest of us are not.

But more than anything, man oh man is she pretty.

It's crazy that I've been going to school with her since the 6th grade but didn't really notice that much until I was forced to shake her soft hand and instantly broke out into a cold sweat.

We usually avoid people, especially the popular people.

Thomas just had to go and bag one of of the prettiest ones with the even prettier friend.

I don't know if it's her pretty brown skin or her long curly hair but....geez, she blossomed into a good looking girl.

Thomas and Amber have been dating for a couple days but I can't help but dread every encounter.

Because I know sooner or later they're going to want to hang out and end up just kissing all on each other. And then things are going to get awkward because I'm going to have to talk to her, she's always around.

Why couldn't Thomas choose a nerd for a girlfriend?

A girl that doesn't have attractive friends that makes everybody turn and stare when we go somewhere?

So far all that we've been to together is the cinema and the store.

But today as I walk up to our little hidden table in the yard behind the cafeteria, I realize something.

It has been compromised.

My heart drops to the pit of my stomach as I clutch my lunch tray and try not to scream as multiple people crowd around the small table.

It took us 3 years to establish that eating place, how dare it get ambushed by the popular?

It is hidden by the big sequoia tree atop the highest peak in town.

Otherwise known as the back of our school.

"Hey, Gaven. Guys move around, I saved him a seat."
Amber waves me over with a friendly smile.

Even though I like her because she understands how antisocial I am, I kind of hate her right now.

Even as the crowd disperses and it becomes silent, my thoughts are loud in my head.

"Oh, he's pissed."
Luke avoids eye contact.

He is the 3rd and final member of our little trio and everyone with eyes knows that he's too good looking to be hanging around us.

But he's so lovable and selfless. He got Thomas and Amber together and that by far has been the best thing he's ever done for any of us.

"I'm not pissed."
I say firmly, setting my tray down.

"Gaven, I am so sorry. I didn't find out until it was too late that this is your table and..."
Myra starts talking but I immediately zone her out.