The Challenge

Akinna stepped out of the capsule that had just brought her to the middle of a field. She was in the early 1900's of England on a parallel earth without science, aptly named Earth Beta. However, this Beta was roughly 200 years behind the 1900's of Earth in terms of technical advancements, which was why she was there. She grabbed her backpack of food and supplies and hid the short capsule with branches. She looked at her map, locating her destination, the capital city of Logos where modern London of her Earth would be.

Not before long did she set foot into the city. She would have to request an audience with the king and his scholars. Fortunately, she carried a crest of another king from the mainland, perfectly replicated from images of Beta taken long before she arrived. It should provide her with the access she needed without issue.

She made her way past the formalities of being granted the King's audience and found herself in front of Beta Europe's King. The King was dressed gloriously, with much gold, silk, and fine fabrics. A glamorously bejeweled crown worth at least millions on Earth adorned his head, complementing his handsome and stoic face. She kneeled with her head bowed and began her planned speech.

"Your Majesty King Charles, I come from far away and with knowledge of technologies beyond your comprehension. My name is Dr. Akinna McVicker, and I have arrived here to prove something that is of thine utmost importance. The truth of the world, that is to say that it is not flat, but a sphere."

There was some murmuring, but the room quickly quieted. She continued, "Understandably this is a difficult matter to take my word for. If it be to thine pleasure, I would like to propose a challenge against your most prestigious philosophers. My only reward be that thine people must be taught my beliefs about this world and that your people embark on an exposition across the great oceans surrounding thine great Kingdom. My time is brief, so I will not impose upon thine time or thine scholars for long. If I should concede defeat, I will offer up these treasures to thine care."

She then grabbed something out of her bag and proposed it to the king. The entire court gasped, the sound ringing out through the elegantly decorated and painting high ceilings. In her hands she held a necklace of pearls along with a centerstone of a finely cut sapphire about the size of a nickel. The inner pattern of which resembled that of the Kingdom's national flower, a favorite of the Queen. Cultured pearls had devalued them back on Earth, but on Beta they had not yet been discovered, which would make this the most valuable gift in their history.

She then continued, "And if your Majesty doth not find this sufficient, I have also brought this to make my proposal worth thine time."

She brought out a satin and silk-adorned long box. Placing it on the floor, she opened the lid to reveal a fine carbon steel longsword. The hilt was engraved most extravagantly, and it contained a sharpening stone with instructions to keep the blade sharp. The King leaned forward, still contemplating the proposal, but unable to contain his interest and surprise. Akinna offered the sword up to him, head bowed. A guard brought him the sword to inspect, after which the same guard returned it to be placed back in its box.

The King spoke, "Thine offerings are sufficient for the challenge proposed by thee. I agree to thine terms and will personally oversee thy contest. It shall take place not one hour from now in my courtyard, from which you may travel wherever you need to prove your spherical Earth claim. You will have until the sun sets to present evidence to my scholars, after which deliberations will commence. Should deliberations end with them not convinced, I shall claim your treasures. Should you accomplish your goal, I shall teach thine discoveries to the entirety of mine kingdom and establish them as fact. I will also send mine ships across the oceans as requested. Are these conditions adequate for thine purposes?"