Chapter 1: The Fake Witch (SAMPLE ONLY)

"oh look, it's the fake witch roaming around the palace grounds"

"hey, fake witch"

"fake witc-"

Ah, it's the annoying Princess Calina and her equally annoying friend Lady Monique, daughter of a duke.

Let me explain why these two- faced bitc- ehem I mean these two 'respectable ladies' are mean to me despite my mom being a respectable witch.

In this world, the royalties and nobles are above the commoners even if you can be much wealthy than the lowest ranked noble you are still beneath them. The only way you can be an equal to a noble is be wealthy enough to buy a title which is not really worth it since it is way too pricey so you're better off being wealthy and create connections with the nobility hoping you get granted a noble title; or you can contribute something big to the kingdom like new inventions or discoveries which will cause big changes that they'll grant you a title; or the easiest way (but not really), practice witchcraft and awaken your magic essence within you cause if you are a warlock or witch you are well respected since they are few and rare, see it's the easiest since all you have to do is practice witchcraft but not really since only a few awaken their magic essence.

Being a witch or warlock makes you equal to nobles and royalties or even higher than some nobles. My mom was actually the legendary Eldalaine, the second powerful witch/warlock, the most powerful one is her brother Edelianus, they were once known the "Mythical Siblings". That was hundreds of years ago, but why is my mother still alive and youthful looking after all the years? simple, once you have magic essence (others are born with it like my mom and her brother and others have theirs awaken) you start to age slowly once you reach teenagehood until you stop aging at all so most people who have magic essence are young looking.

My mom hid herself and took a new identity after her brother went berserk and disappears after wreaking havoc. It's pretty much taboo to talk about the legendary Edelianus since he was a righteous man before he went crazy over the suicide of her daughter, so I only know such a little thing about him since my mom also refused to give any information about him not that I'm 'curious' or anything.

"Silphy" is the nickname of my mom and she's dubbed as the "travelling witch" since we never stay in one place longer than a year, she makes deals and contracts with other people for a living. She could have chosen and stayed in any kingdom and settle down to make life easier but no, she chooses to travel. She told me she loves to travel and there's so many places to still visit but you know what I feel, I feel like we're running away from something. She was once the well known Eldalaine and then she went into hiding, of course there's a possibility she was running away from something but I don't know what is it.

Then there's me sigh who is going by the nickname of "Aurum" which is very far from my real name of Valamiere. I guess I do deserve being called as the "Fake Witch" but it does not make it less hurtful. I was born without magic essence and no matter how I practice witchcraft it does not awaken and my body also rejected any magic essence that mom tried to give to me. Oh you can actually transfer or share your magic essence to someone so they can do magic too but that is not well known or used because WHO IS CRAZY ENOUGH TO SHARE YOUR ESSENCE WHEN IT IS A DEFINING POINT ON HOW POWERFUL YOUR SPELLS AND MAGIC CAN BE . . .

Ah oops, sorry for screaming internally . . . I was frustrated ehe oh and magic essence's color can vary for each person, you can have similar color with another or different one. Mom's essence is silver and her brother's essence is gold.

Oooh, another information is that people can't steal another person's magic essence because it has to be two ways. The person must be willing to transfer it and the other must be willing to receive it. But I read in the library in one of the cities of Loreyna, that is another kingdom we've been to, that there was an instance a magic essence was stolen but not much was written down. Could that be real or just a fake information?