Pilot

"Dear Ms. And Mr. Alexander, I wish to congratulate you that your son, Jacy Alexander has been selected for the New Beginnings and Innovations program. His contract will be effective immediately. Please have him report to your nearest Innovations center by August 1. Failure to do so will result in the immediate deregistration and obtainment of all immediate family members."

A haunting, well-mannered letter was all it took to ruin Jacy's first day of summer vacation as his parents stood in front of him, a grim look on their face. He had gotten home, and without a word, they handed him a blank, white envelope with a government seal. Inside was a letter written in fancy script that Jacy had been selected to participate in the government program so horribly named "The New Beginnings and Innovations program".

Fifty years ago, when the fox-people tribes had been discovered hiding among society, humanity's perception of science, evolution, and all other things were crumbled. They responded in fear. Before them, they presented half-man, half-beast creatures that had been hiding amongst them. With fox-like ears propped on top of their heads, yellow eyes with vertical pupils, long k9s extending to the tops and bottoms of their mouths, and claws that retracted out of their hands in response to stress hormones, humanity was terrified.

It began as a witch hunt. Each exposed fox person was captured and killed. Until well-meaning humanitarians and fascinated scientists finally put a stop to it. 30 years after the witch hunt began, the fox people were offered an olive branch. Every one of them was to be registered under the government and tattooed with a unique number. A select few were taken away to laboratories to be subjected to testing and studies.

20 years later, their numbers had been revived, and each tribe was allowed a small reservation they were bound to for their businesses, homes, and schools. The public was allowed to reside in these areas, but most were uncomfortable with the idea.

Jacy, along with anyone else in his tribe, had limited knowledge about the government facilities fox people were taken to after selected. But, it was common knowledge that people rarely came back, and most were too traumatised to speak of it.

It took a few seconds for the letter to sink in, for the fact that at just 15 years old, his family, friends, tribe, his entire life was about to be stolen from him. If his tribe were to defend him, hide him, do anything at all, they would likely be killed off. The government knew by now that the fox people were loyal to their families and tribes, and would do almost anything for them. The threat of killing those loved ones off was enough to get an individual to do anything they would like.

"Oh..." His voice weakened as he finally came to terms with what that letter meant. Everyone in the room was speechless.

His pregnant mother had an empty expression on her face as if a spirit had taken her soul from her body. She had said nothing the entire time. She had barely made eye contact with him.

His usually joyful, stern father was giving his only son a guilty expression. "I'm sorry" The tall, dark-skinned man apologised "If I could take your place, I would"

Jacy mustered a smile for them. "Then who would keep Ula in her place?" He said humorously. His father, along with other fox parents, was very stern. It was a part of their culture. As without a heavy hand, fox children often became unruly, aggressive, and uncontrollable. Humans often used this as a way to call fox people savages or abusive, but foxes were different. They were sensitive to different things than humans.

"and the baby of course..." Jacy led on.

His parents didn't seem to be lightened by his humour. "Don't tell your sister yet, she won't respond well to this" His father said finally. Jacy and his 12-year-old sister had a close relationship. They weren't exactly friends, but whenever his little sister needed help, Jacy wasn't very far behind.