Prologue

Stars are funny. Not funny as in laughing out loud, but funny in the way that they work. They seem so pretty and close, but in reality they're so far away. Light years, in fact.

People are funny too. Just like stars. The people you feel closest to are usually the ones that are a million miles away.

That's why stars are more reliable. Stars can't hurt you; they're always there, every night. They can't hurt you like people can.

But while stars are always there, they can't give comfort like people can. They only radiate light in the darkest hour.

And right now, in my darkest hour, thousands of stars are lighting up the night sky. And he is nowhere to be found.

It's no wonder why I don't like falling, it always ends like this.

Like a shooting star, so beautiful and full of wishes and hope, that ends up crashing into something. My wishes have never come true. And right now, it seems as if they never will.

Funny, stars. They can't catch me when I fall, and apparently neither can people. I have to rely on myself. And I just don't think I'm strong enough anymore.

So, as of this moment, I, Lacey Rose Walters, give up on love.

Who needs it when all boys do is take a shooting star and lead it to crash? All when you least expect it.