Chapter One

Y/n L/n HATED James Conrad. And he did too. He was the tracker and soldier, and she was the cartographer and botanist. They met at a bar somewhere over in Asia and got into an argument about certain things like how mapping maps is better than tracking, or Marvel is better than DC. (See what I did there?)

 Things got worse from there. Y/n nicknamed Conrad, "Connie." He nicknamed her "Weedwhacker." From there, he pranked her by handing her a glass of vodka instead of water, lying about making a truce. Y/n ended up spitting it all in his face.

"You, are, the, WORST!!!!" She had yelled at him. She left the bar, leaving him laughing. The next day, she "accidently" dropped bleach, which was really suspicious, on his nicest shirt.

 People would bet on who would do the best pranks or annoying things. Teasing, jokes, bad nicknames, and pranks were their thing. Betting too.

"Well, well, well. Pay up Weedwhacker." Conrad said when he won the first bet they ever made. Y/n paid him the fifty bucks she owed him.

"Jerk." She muttered under her breath. He smiled.

"See you tomorrow night Weedwhacker." He said, leaving.

"Bye bye Connie! Stay safe!" She called out. "Oh! And did you hear the sarcasm in my  voice?" She asked.

"Yes I did." Conrad responded. She rolled her eyes. Even though they hated each other, there was something that had them coming back. Sure it could've been the enjoyments of making fun of each other, but there was more. Every time Y/n would look into Conrad's blue eyes, she would feel a wonderful sensation go throughout her entire body and every time Conrad heard her laughter, his day would get better.

But they didn't want to admit that they had feelings for each other. Instead, they continued to annoy each other. And it was fine for them. At least they thought so. It was on rare occasions that they would be nice to each other. During Valentine's Day of '71, Conrad bought Y/n some nice flowers.

"Here." He said, handing her the flowers. "I hope you like them."

"Thanks?" She slowly grabbed the flowers. It was the nicest thing he had ever done for her. The following week, Y/n bought him a watch.

"You can take it anywhere." She explained. "Take it underwater or to the mountains." Conrad was left smiling.

"Thank you, Weedwhacker." He said.

"It was no problem Connie." She replied. They both smiled at each other. But, things immediately  went back to normal the next day. 

Until 1973.

That's when the fun began.