Chapter One: A One Night Stand With Death

"In today's news, three people on the western slope have died from the black plague. Doctors believe they were infected by fleas—"

My mom reached forward and clicked off the radio as we pulled into a parking spot at the college. "You don't need to hear that."

My mother always avoided the news. She limited television time and monitored anything I watched or read when she could. She wanted to shield me from the world, but her grip on me would end today. Today I started college. I'd chosen the one furthest away from home that still met my mother's in-state requirement. Eventually, she'd have to give up her grip on me. Controlling parents had no place in the life of a college student.

"That's the fifth death this week from the black plague," I stated and threw the car into park. The transmission groaned and shuddered a little bit at the change of gears.

Her gaze slid to me. "How do you know that?"

I wasn't sure, I just knew it. I always had an ability to tell how many deaths there were, but I didn't mention that to her. "I read about it in an article the other day. The death toll and the amount of infected are growing every day. The conspiracy nuts believe it's the government." I kept my voice light, trying not to push her buttons.

"And this is why I don't like you watching the news. They said the same thing about the Ebola outbreak too and that's all but disappeared from the media." She waved her hand in the air to dismiss the topic. "Sammy, you can't believe everything you read."

I knew that of course, but there wasn't much I could say since I had lied to her about how I knew the death toll. "Yes, Mom." I rolled my eyes. I got out of the car and slammed the door shut. Not out of anger, but because if I didn't the door wouldn't shut all the way.

The old car shifted at the pressure. My mom got out and tried several times to ease her door shut to no avail. She gave in with a sigh and slammed it. "Watch your tone."

I ignored her and smiled at the students moving towards the dorms. Some had an adult with them some didn't. Some had a suitcase or two and some had boxes upon boxes. A few groups huddled around a piece of a paper they'd glance down at, then up, and point to something across the campus. This would be my new home for the next four years. My nerves shot up and my stomach rolled.

This would be the longest time I'd been away from home and the farthest. The only thing helping my nerves was the other students who seemed just as lost and nervous. My mom put a hand on my shoulder. "It's not too late to go back home."

I considered it, but if I turned around now and ran home then I'd always ask myself 'what if'. "No, I'll be fine."

I straightened my t-shirt and pulled my jeans up a little, trying to find my confidence. I was eighteen now, an adult, I could handle a bunch of strangers my age. My gaze searched the moving crowd for someone who looked friendly. A guy leaned against a truck with his arms crossed. His gaze met mine and his eyes widened a touch. He nodded and went back to searching the crowd.

His muscles strained as he crossed his arms and his snug jeans hugged his body. He held his head up high without flinching at anyone's looks. He held confidence, but I wouldn't have considered him friendly looking. He sported a military haircut, and he clenched his jaw. His gaze returned to me and looked more predatory than anything else.

"Stay away from him." Mom stated as if she followed my gaze. "Guys like that are nothing but problems. That one in particular." She crossed her arms.

I turned and grabbed my suitcases out of the trunk.. "Do you know him?"

"I know his family. They have violent tendencies."

My mom's job as a social worker often came back to bite me and ruin social events. Not that I wanted to experience violent tendencies, but it would be nice to come to my own conclusion about people. I popped the trunk and grabbed my single suitcase and my laptop bag. "Let's just find my room."