Chapter 1: It all started with a Student Handbook

[Author's Note (A/N): This is my first story so I'm sorry if it's not that good. P.S., to all who read this before, I changed A LOT of things but the story is somewhat the same. I hope you all enjoy!]

<KELLY'S POV>

I feel the sun's rays as morning came. I open my eyes and feel a shiver through my whole body. I realize the cold wooden floor as I got up, realizing I fell down from my bed.

Sigh. Being a working student really is tough. After school, I head straight to my part-time job, quite far from my school and work 'till night. But I only do this to repay my grandmother for taking care of my little sister and I.

A few years ago, my parents died in a car crash. And ever since then, my grandmother has been taking care of the both of us.

I hear my little sister calling me," Kelly! Wake up! I'm leaving first okay?", she shouted.

"Alright!", I replied.

~

On the way to school, I met this strange little boy. He looked from left to right, apparently looking for something. He had some bruises on his elbows and his clothes had some dirt on them. He caught my eye for a second and started towards me.

"Excuse me, could you help me look for my dog?", he said as I saw the desperation in his eyes,"I took him on a walk, you see, then he started running. I couldn't stop him."

"Okay. I'll help you. What does he look like?", I asked.

We searched for the dog but couldn't find him. I checked my watch and I only have 10 minutes left before 1st period starts. I looked around one last time and saw what looked like a tail sticking out one of the bushes. I headed over there and finally found the dog.

"Thank you, um?"

"It's Kelly.", I said.

"Yeah, thanks. I hope we meet again.", he said, smiling while holding back his tears. I felt a sudden nostalgic feeling at that moment. And for some reason, I hoped that we don't.

I ran as fast as I could, as if breathing wasn't needed. I didn't care. I just couldn't be late to class.

"Safe!", I shouted, forgetting everyone around me for a second, as my classmates laugh.

"1 minute before the bell, huh? Shouldn't that be a world record?", my best friend Jasmine said.

"Now that's what I call safe!", Patrice said.

"Don't tell me, you fed a stray cat again?", Deyah guessed.

"Nah, she probably ended up helping like 20 old people cross the street.", added Patrice.

"HA HA very funny. Now why don't you guys make yourselves useful and give me a handkerchief, I'm sweating like hell.", I said, sharing a laugh with everyone.

Patrice handed her pink, frilly handkerchief, "Here. Keep it. I wouldn't want that back after you use it, anyways.", she said. I rolled my eyes. She always was the girly one in our group.

As the teacher came in, we all took our seats.

~

My stomach growls and they all hear it. We laugh as we grab our wallets out.

"Let's go to the cafeteria. C'mon, Kelly.", Jasmine said.

"Oh, you guys should head there first. I need to bring these notebooks to the faculty room, remember?", I said.

"Huh? But weren't tho---", Jasmine said but Deyah cut her off.

"Okay, we'll see you there!", she said.