The Best Gift Ever (formerly entitled The Birthday Gift)

August 19, 20XX, Friday

One typical Saturday afternoon, it is lunch time and Gerard is in the cafeteria looking for something to eat.

“Nah, I can't buy a meal for lunch; a meal's worth forty pesos and all I have in my purse is thirty. I still need a hundred and seventy pesos for the gift I'm gonna buy for Juris' birthday on Tuesday. I'll just skip my lunch,” Gerard whispered to himself.

As he was walking along the corridors, he saw some of his office-mates munching on cheeseburgers. He just ignored them and continued walking. When he arrived as his cubicle, his office-mate Mike called him. Mike said that his fiancée Juris is waiting for him outside. Gerard immediately went outside and talked to his girl.

“Oh, you're here,” said Gerard.

“I brought you food for lunch. Sorry I was a little late.”

“Oh, thanks.”

“I'd be going then. Goodbye!”

He held her hand and then bid goodbye.

“Goodbye, take care, I love you,” he said.

“I love you, too,” she replied.

Gerard went back inside the office. “I'm so glad she brought me something for lunch.” He whispered to himself.

Mike suddenly approached Gerard. “Dude, thanks for those chocolates you gave us yesterday. Thanks a lot, man!”

Gerard suddenly remembered that he still has a lot of chocolates in his bag, those are cheap chocolates, though. He immediately got three pieces and put it on Juris' desk.

August 22, 20XX, Monday

It is the day before Juris' birthday and Gerard had saved money just enough for his birthday gift for her. He woke up at 8 A.M. and went to the mall to buy a ribbon. According to him, the best gift for a girl is a ribbon because it can make the girl gorgeous and feel happy. He doesn't wanna give the girl roses or chocolates because these things vanish right away. Jewelries are also a no-no because it puts someone's life to risk.

He entered the department store and went to the women's section immediately. He is going to choose a decent headband to give Juris as a gift. There's a whole lot of headbands to choose from. There are different sizes, colors, and designs. He looked for something blue, for it is Juris' favorite color.

When Gerard had already picked the headband to buy, he rushed to the counter immediately. He fell in line with a smile on his face. By the time he's about to pay for the item, he noticed that he lost his wallet. He has no idea where he lost it.

He wasn't able to buy the ribbon and walked home penniless and sad.

When he arrived home, he locked himself in his room, then he thought to himself,

“How am I supposed to have a gift for her now that I've lost my money? What gift can I give her on her birthday?”

He asked these things to himself. He fell asleep because of too much sadness.

August 23, 20XX, Tuesday

It is Juris' birthday but then Gerard woke up late with a sad face. As he's going to the bathroom to prepare for work, his phone beeped.

A text message reads “Juris: Good morning, Honey. Will you come to my place this afternoon? I'll be waiting for you. I love you.”

“I'll be there, Sweetie. I love you, too,” replied Gerard.

Gerard took a bath, had breakfast, wore his favorite shirt, and went to his office.

Gerard finished all his works and deadlines early and excitedly rendezvoused to Juris' place. Juris cooked pasta and baked Gerard's favorite strawberry pastries for the two of them.

When Gerard arrived at Juris' place, she welcomed her with a hug.

“Hey, what's with that sad look in your eyes?” She asked Gerard.

“Uhh .. I'm sorry .. I .. wasn't able to .. buy you a birthday gift because I lost my wallet yesterday,” he replied, with his head bowed down.

“Oh, you! Don't feel bad! You don't have to buy me a gift. Oh, by the way, I got those chocolates on my table. You're so sweet! You're the best birthday gift I've ever had. I love you!”